Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD A8-3520M or AMD A8-3550MX

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

I am trying to determine which of these (APU's I believe they are called) is the best.  I'm in no hurry because of finance, but was just trying to determine if it is worth while changing to the 3550MX.  This laptop is super sweet but a little slow, not bad but a little slow.  I've tried to determine which is best by looking at PassMark and CPU Boss.  I guess it is pretty simple, the 3550MX is the best, but do you guys think it is worth the switch?

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-3520M+APU

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-3550MX+APU

Seems CPU Boss is saying the 3520 has the highest Score but then at the end choose the 3550MX as the winner haha?  I understand there are many factors and they are a little confusing so what are others opinions?  

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-A8-3550MX-vs-AMD-A8-3520M 

I also see that the Core Performance of the 3550MX is the best, which is probably what I'm looking for as the most important factor, and, that Graphics Performance is better on the 3550MX.

The other factor that I'm unsure about is the RAM.  CPU Boss shows that the 3550MX can use "DDR3-1600"

And the 3520M only "DDR3-1333".  So how important are these numbers?  

Right now, this is what Speccy shows, only 800MHz:  "Max Bandwidth PC3-12800 (800 MHz)"

So, I'm wondering, if I'll be able to achieve a much faster laptop if I change the CPU to the 3550MX and the RAM to the better higher MHz?

I guess one important trait I'm looking for, is to be able to open my browser and all the tabs load up a little faster, and open new tabs faster, along with File Transfer speeds.

Also, don't quite understand how to use PassMark.  I've tried to use the "Compare up to Three CPU's" with no luck lol, so I just open two Tabs to view two different CPU's., could someone explain how to use this site?

Thanks, pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 10 May 2017 - 02:37 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:55 PM

The problem I see here is that some laptops motherboards have the cpu cemented into

the motherboard. This means that one can not upgrade the cpu, by removing it and upgrading it.

You are stuck with what the motherboard offers. If your laptop cpu is soldered to the motherboard then you can't upgrade it.

If it is not soldered to the motherboard, then you will have find out what cpu is compatible with that laptop motherboard.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

No problem my friend, it is replaceable, but thanks for pointing that out as I forgot to look, or had looked a while back and forgotten.  I have two laptops that are similar so I was pretty sure they both were replaceable.  Now hoping some bc techie's will come along and enlighten me! lol.  I think when money is available, I'll just get the 3550MX and 8GB of the RAM that is best for it.  

Thanks, pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 11 May 2017 - 12:28 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users