Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD writer's block

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:39 PM

Writer error (unit attention) Power on, Reset or BUS driver reset occurred. {CD burn failure in Deepburner}
There was an error in the disk writing process. {winXP CD writing Wizard}

Recording fails at sector 648 (1% into simulation or record modes.) { BSRecorderGold5}
additionally, the error locks up the PC. The error report that could be sent to Microsoft looks like this:

Error Signature
szAppName: BSGOLD5.EXE
szAppVer 5.2.0.0
szModName: hungapp
szModVer 0.0.0.0
offset: 00000000
the following files will be included in the error report:
C:\Docume~1\phawgg\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER83b5.dir00\BSGOLD5.EXE.mdmp
C:\Docume~1\phawgg\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER83b5.dir00\appcompat.txt

iTunes & dbPowerAmp programs act in a similar way now, also

So, five cd writing programs fail. This began when I burned the SP2 download (network administrators beta version) It was a 289MB folder I had on hard drive, and when I went to back it up, it took several times to do it. It was well within the limits of the CD, so I wondered why. I did accomplish it using the B's Recorder Gold 5 program that came with the SONY CD-RW CRX220E1 (52x/24x/52x CD-RW) after several tries.

Then, ever since, I've had problems. Only the cd write function does not work.

The Gold5 program requires that you pay to "unlock" the mp3 record function. I paid. It worked for hundreds of CD's prior to the onset of this problem.
It involves several factors, most of which bother me:
  • Microsoft's Service Pack 2 is involved.
  • B.H.A. Corporation works closely with Microsoft in the "devopment" of CD & DVD writing technology. They are a "favored" company from the start.
  • Sony is a world leader in the entertainment business.
  • I get no answer from B.H.A. Corp Japan when I've identified the problem, as I have here, and asked them about it.
  • Company website offers a "needed" upgrade free for Recorder5, which I tried.
  • Company website suggests that I buy the newest program.........
  • My concern is that one program may have made it impossible for other programs to work
  • I'm way behind schedule on my gift making for Christmas. I make CDs. I spend a lotta money to do that.
  • CD gifts are on the borderline of legitimacy in the eyes of the entertainment business.
  • CD gifts are perfectly acceptable in the eyes of LAW.
  • For all practical purposes, this problem renders use of my PC to risky. No way to effectively backup any data.
I've cleaned the unit. I've uninstalled/re-installed all programs except the winXP one, which I can't. I've downloaded the HighMat fo CD Writing optional update from windows updates and uninstalled it. Twice. I've checked into winXP services in an effort to see if automatically enabling all related would work. No, thats not it.

I suspect the unit itself is bad. Maybe. I'll buy another today and try it out. I'll send it back if it doesn't work.

Any comments? :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 11 December 2004 - 02:44 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 07:20 PM

OK, then.... here we go. I went back to the same store. Same kinda deal is available, $49.xx with rebate, for a Sony CD-RW.
This time I talk with the Salesman. I'm looking at a Sony DVD-RW for twice as much, $99.xx. How much is that ? $148.xx.
So I get my wallet out. Hmmm. $100.00. I reach in my pocket. $34.00 more. Plus change. OK, then, I say..."Allright, heres the deal. I loaded SP2 in August. Again in October. I have this Sony, it hasn't worked since." I point to the Sony deal behind the locked case. He says, "Well I use this one", and points to a Memorex at $39.00 after rebate, "... and I had issues like yours, too." I say, "Well, my thought is to replace the current one with a new one and see if it works. I may bring it back". He says that's cool, "I ended up uninstalling SP2".

Real World decisions. I forgo the additional $11.99 replacement with a brand new unit deal within the first (and only) year of warrentee. $76.13 later I walk out. I get to send paperwork to Sony, too.

A couple hours later the new Sony & the old one are both on the glass of my scanner, bottom side up. One is Sony model no. CRX220A1 made in april 2003.
The other is Sony CRX230AD made in august 2004. I 've paid $152.26 so far, and gotten $20.00 bucks back, 7-8 weeks after the original purchase. $15.00 went to the B.H.A. Corporation in May of 2003 so I could burn a mp3 with it.
  • Seven minutes to uninstall old optical drive.
  • Three to scan both for info atop the glass.
  • Several spent carefully unpacking the one, I guess. Noticing that Instructions are the exact same format as the old one was.
  • Six minutes later the new is in, and I'm read to try it after a few minutes of scanning the four instruction sheets for vital info.
  • New install CD is labelled "Sony Software Disk - Rev 4.80W".
  • Old install CD was "Sony Software Disk Rev 3.70W".
Now, I've uninstalled all previous versions of B.H.A. Cleaned the registry Ran all scans. Cleaned out all temp files, etc. So, to avoid installation on my Windows OS partition, I set up a folder based on the information given at the Install Wizard prompts, meaning I had to cancel steps to arrange it ahead of time as is the case in 50% of the programs I install. Folder named "Ahead" is set up, and I continue the installation. The new CD has Nero software. Not B.H.A. A "Nero Suite" is involved, pairing up "Nero 6 Express" & "Nero Media Player". I press that radio button. The media player installs, but not the Express. OK, I then click the express button instead of the one called "suite" that shows both express & media player linked together. No sweat, it installs. I've left Spybot Tea Timer on to catch the action. Two alerts..."NeroFilterCheck" & another I've forgotten. Both to I:\Program Files\Ahead. Next down the list is to install "InCD4". Another S&D alert... allowed, but remember it, please. Then "EasyWrite Reader". OK, then. Time to reboot.

I placed a playlist CD in. Everclear's 1:38 song, "Chrysanthemum". One question?No, not at this time, thank you.
Yes I hate the way I feel and it makes no sense
Five months gone and all I got
Pretty pink flowers on my chain link fence
I donít like what it means
Cause I know thereís more to come
I canít go home without
Chrysanthemum

Allrightee! Sounds "clear". Default volume, maximum.

Next, its open nero express to burn a CD. Whoops, problems. No problem, just click on the link to nero.com.
Yes, thats the message I got.
Looks like I need the free update.
product versions seem to be important, though.
I'm a little confused. Maybe I should read about plug-ins first, since none of the six describes exactly, the bundle I have.
Well, that was nice to know, I think. Maybe User Guides would help.
Nope, not there... OK, Data Sheets.
How about this Software Development Kit. Still sniffin' for a definitive answer.
SIPPS, maybe. It seems to make about as much sense as anything so far.

My point being...I played one song. Now I'm back in school studying diligently. How would Uncle Joe feel about this gift for Christmas? Or my friend who doesn't "get" computers? Hmmm. I'm excited about backups? Thrilled about all this snazzy stuff? Eager to spend more each year to do the same old thing? Lovin' the technology of music/data storage? Oh, well.... I'll figure it out someday, I hope.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 07:48 PM

Just a thought, but you may need to check to see if there is a update available for any of the burning applications. SP2 seemed to wreck havoc with many applications, but these had patches for SP2 users.
Just a thought.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:08 PM

Thoughts are good, jgweed. I think this thread brings few to mind, considering the months & reloads I've done up to this point, huh? Thinking never hurt anybody, and they are certainly thinking at the major corporation level. Why wait for legislation to help fight those pesky so-called "copyright infringement problems". Just kill the burners with security updates. Thats a good start. :thumbsup: You're right ...

but you may need to check to see if there is a update available for any of the burning applications.

. All six of 'em. That doesn't make me a happy camper considering my heavy investment in these corporation's products & services... does it.
I'm no fool. :trumpet: I don't like being made to look like one, either. :flowers:

Edited by phawgg, 11 December 2004 - 08:12 PM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:25 PM

Everyone laughed when I stayed with ME, which is the undeserved butt of jokes, but at least it works.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:52 PM

I wonder if you would have these problems using Linux?

Sounds like a wonderful time to try it out.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users