Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen after windows 10 update

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CleppC

CleppC

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

System Info:

Windows 10 Pro (1703 15063.250)

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

24gb Ram

AMD FX-8350 4 Ghz 8 core

AMD Sapphire 280X /or/ GTX 980

3x SSD370 Transcend 256gb RAID5(hw)

Built this PC in 2015 and has been incredibly stable until this past weekend. A scheduled update ran overnight Friday and Saturday it was only a black screen after login. By the way I purchased Windows 8.1 and this was a free upgrade to Win10 in case that is needed.

I can see the login screen, after login the screen goes black with only a cursor seen on movement.

I cannot boot to safe mode while using HDMI. 

Regular boot fails in same manner whether HDMI or VGA is used.

I have two GPU and have tried both while using DDU on both clean installs. Even without a driver installed they will go to black screen after sign in.

I have tried to repair windows through advanced start up, no luck.

I have disabled all applications on startup also.

I am a perfect example of why relying only on RAID and not making a proper back-up is dumb. No back up, no restore point, only real hope is with somebody that perhaps knows why this could be happening. Not even sure if I can fresh install Windows 10 now since this is upgraded Windows 8 and that is expired right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

I had the same problem after a nVidia driver update, in my case I could open task manager even though I had a black screen, I closed/ended all instances of nVidia & laptop showed the desktop, I then removed/uninstalled the driver, installed the previous one then reinstalled the new driver.

#3 CleppC

CleppC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

I had the same problem after a nVidia driver update, in my case I could open task manager even though I had a black screen, I closed/ended all instances of nVidia & laptop showed the desktop, I then removed/uninstalled the driver, installed the previous one then reinstalled the new driver.

Yeah, I also can access task manager, forgot to mention that. There were no instances of Nvidia open, nor AMD with the other card installed.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

Can you start the File Explorer, please open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc and from Task Manager click File --> Run new task and type explorer.exe click OK button.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#5 CleppC

CleppC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

Can you start the File Explorer, please open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc and from Task Manager click File --> Run new task and type explorer.exe click OK button.

Sorry for the delay. No. When I try to run a new task the Task Manager disappears to black screen. I can reopen it, but nothing is running.

Also, I cannot access any shares located on the PC either, so even though it seems all display related, it may not be. Then again, they could be off now that I have tried to disable everything.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

Can you open Command Prompt by typing cmd.exe into new task dialog box?

Can you open registry editor by typing regedit.exe into new task dialog box?

- Dalai Lama

#7 CleppC

CleppC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:58 PM

After pressing new task the screen goes black.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

I don't understand how you cannot boot Windows into Safe Mode because of HDMI connection do you get any error message?

Do you have Windows 10 Setup DVD or can you boot Windows 10 into Windows Recovery Environment?

- Dalai Lama

#9 CleppC

CleppC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:32 PM

If there is an error message, I cannot see it, the screen is black.
I understand that it is strange, I have been looking for answers off and on since Saturday.
No windows 10 setup, only the 8 I purchased. I didn't try that as I thought it would be dangerous since it is different OS

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

If you have another working computer you can create Windows 10 Setup DVD/USB with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.
You can also try starting  Windows Recovery Environment by force powering off computer soon as Windows 10 start booting you will have to do this at least five times to start Automatic Repair utility which is where you will have option to use advanced recovery tools.

- Dalai Lama

#11 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:08 AM

Yeah, I also can access task manager, forgot to mention that. There were no instances of Nvidia open, nor AMD with the other card installed.

Is there any entry with the nVidia icon? Iirc there were two or three entires all with the same text, it is these I closed.

#12 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

I used to have this problem with Nvidia.  Only a clean install will fix it.  Sorry.

#13 CleppC

CleppC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

Not sure what issue was, but I did a clean install of Windows 8. Haven't tried to upgrade it yet, not sure if I am able to or not anymore...

Thanks for trying to help me everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users