Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed to install latest Windows 10 update (KB4016871/15063.296)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:27 AM

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

You will need to open the Command Prompt to run the sfc /scannow.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.  This will open the Command Prompt.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select the drive which Windows is installed on (this usually is the C: drive), click/tap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If there are more than one log you can identify the log you want by the date and time it was run.  

Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

I have done it yesterday before using the WMC tool. It said that there's "No Integrity Violation"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:34 AM

That's what you want.

Have you checked your hard drive for errors recently?

#18 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:29 PM

That's what you want.

Have you checked your hard drive for errors recently?

Never actually. How do i do it and which one should i check?

#19 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:39 PM

Type cmd.exe in the search box, and right click on the result, selecting Run as administrator.

On the Command line, type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

Answer Y to run on next boot.

Reboot the computer.

Start with the C: drive and let us know.

It could take a while.

Edited by jwoods301, 14 July 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#20 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:16 PM

Did you ever get the  "Choose your privacy settings for the Windows 10 Creators Update"?  It will look like this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/help/4014916/windows-10-choose-your-privacy-settings-for-windows-10-creators-update

Are you running AVG Antivirus?

This is more likely a CU Update issue and not an HDD issue.

If you have no luck with these fixes I'll be back to give you my advice as how to fix it.

In the meantime take a look at this

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-creators-update-fails-install

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#21 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:24 AM

Did you ever get the  "Choose your privacy settings for the Windows 10 Creators Update"?  It will look like this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/help/4014916/windows-10-choose-your-privacy-settings-for-windows-10-creators-update

If you have no luck with these fixes I'll be back to give you my advice as how to fix it.

Whether it's "more likely", it is always a best practice to ensure that there are no issues with a system such as corrupt system files, or errors on a hard drive, that could cause issues.

99% of the time, a refresh or in-place repair of Windows 10 will fix multiple issues, including Windows Update.

If you have that 1% magic bullet, let is know.

I'll look forward to seeing it.

Edited by jwoods301, 16 July 2017 - 01:26 AM.

#22 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:14 AM

I only use WD as antivirus

I never got that privacy setting stuff

Well, i usually used WMT if i'm really desperate with no answer. It's more like a last resort, since it takes a lot of time. However, i feel i'm gonna use it everytime an update comes up...

#23 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

Follow jwoods301 advice first, he is much more knowledgeable than I.  If that don't work try these things.  As jwoods has said it is always best to check the HDD for errors etc. to make sure we are working with a clean slate.  I noticed that the Time may be wrong on your pc, but not sure, check it just in case.  This is just my quote from another thread here.

"Is the Time Set Correctly?  I've had instances where I could not update because the Time was incorrect."

"You could also create another Admin account, Restart or Shutdown, log into it and see if you can update from there, then it may fix the original account.  Otherwise this is a difficult fix, as there are many possibilities to what exactly is wrong, and I'm no Tech LOL, just a low level problem solver...I think."

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#24 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:52 AM

So i got the problem again, this time with (KB4038788). I've tried every possible method, not working. However, i noticed that during the restart sequence (getting microsoft ready), it doesn't show any percent, just the text and it gives up as the text immediately changes into restarting...

Edited by Zooasaurus, 13 September 2017 - 06:54 AM.

#25 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

So i got the problem again, this time with (KB4038788). I've tried every possible method, not working. However, i noticed that during the restart sequence (getting microsoft ready), it doesn't show any percent, just the text and it gives up as the text immediately changes into restarting...

Have you considered backing up your user data (by itself), taking an inventory of what software you have installed on your system that didn't come with it, making a system image backup, then reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch?

There appears to be some sort of persistent issue on your system that keeps messing with Windows Update even if you do whatever gyrations are necessary to get over that hump one time.

There really are times when a clean install is the best option, and given the persistence of your issues this might be one of them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#26 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

So i guess i've found the culprit. Yesterday's update installed just fine. However, in all failed updates that i can remember, Adobe Flash security update will always be alongside the main Cumulative Update. So by now i'm sure the main cause is that Adobe security update

Edited by Zooasaurus, 27 September 2017 - 07:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users