Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed to install latest Windows 10 update (KB4016871/15063.296)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:10 AM

As the title said, i can't update to the latest version of Windows. It will always failed in my update history. What I've tried:

-Updating from Windows Update in System, failed

-Downloading and updating from the catalog, still failed

-Using Windows Update Assistant, It only shows "Thank You for updating to the latest version of Windows"

-Using Windows Update Troubleshooter. All problems seems to be fixed, but still failed to install 

So, by now i still stuck at version 15063.250. On the other hand i can't run Windows Media Creation tool, it gave me "The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect" error. Using DISM is out of the question since there's a bug about it. Any ideas how do i install it?

Attached File  Screenshot (7).png   152.37KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

Hi, Zooasaurus!

Welcome to BC! :welcome:

Sorry to hear that, but which exact error message does DISM report?

You can try this: http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/1001411/how-to-fix-windows-update-in-windows-10-if-it-becomes-stuck-1

More specifically the third last option How to fix Windows Update: Use System Restore, the second last option How to fix Windows Update: Delete files in Software Distribution as well as the last option How to fix Windows Update: Make a quick-fix batch file.

You can also try running System File Checker, by running the command: sfc /scannow

Please note the space between sfc and /scannow.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 12 May 2017 - 01:57 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

So you already have the Creators Update, version 1703?

What does your winver say?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

You need to post the exact error message or messages you are receiving.

Are you having any problems with downloads besides the Windows updates?

If the updates are only failing to download you could try resetting the download components.

Open notebook, copy and paste the code below in the notebook.  In Windows 8.1 and 10 you will have to open Search and type in notebook.  Notebook will appear in the results, click/tap on it to open notebook.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

Once you have pasted this in notebook click on File and select Save as and save it as "WUReset.bat", include the quotation marks.

Right click on the batch file and select Run as administrator.

Restart the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Hi all!

Thank you, dc3, for transcribing the script, but with all due respect, after having examined it personally (I am a former programmer), I have noticed that there is actually a minor bug (typo) in the code both in the article as well as above. IOW, it is not your fault.

The 12th line; ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old should in stead be ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

In fact, there are several articles on the Internet showing the very same error as above, but only a few correct ones.

Thank you!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 13 May 2017 - 02:00 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:38 AM

Hi again, Zooasaurus!

May I ask: Did you perhaps manage to resolve your issue with any of the solutions being provided?

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 13 May 2017 - 03:39 AM.

#7 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:24 PM

Hello all, i'm really sorry for leaving the thread, i got mad and decided to use Media Creation tool instead. And now the problem is back again with the latest update, as i'm still failing to install it (not downloading). Basically the main problem is it's failed to install after restarting. It still really hasn't been fixed since yesterday night and i've done every possible way i understand like Wureset, downloading from catalog, and Troubleshooting. I don't want to use the tool again as it takes a really long time (it could send up to 6 hours or more). Any ideas? the problem is quite the same as before

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:28 PM

See this tutorial on resetting Windows Update...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

#9 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

See this tutorial on resetting Windows Update...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

Already did. Somehow it doesn't work as my update history is still full

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

Try (again) running the Windows Update Troubleshooter for Windows 10...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

Edited by jwoods301, 11 July 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#11 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:36 PM

It's said that problem has been solved but really it doesn't do anything. If anything, my WU stuck at downloading the update again at 0%

Also, apparently stop wuaserv doesn't work as it said it couldn't be stopped

Back at WMC tool again i guess 

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

I would try booting into Advanced Startup Options and doing a Startup Repair...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-boot-advanced-startup-options-windows-10-a.html

#13 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

I would try booting into Advanced Startup Options and doing a Startup Repair...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-boot-advanced-startup-options-windows-10-a.html

I'll keep that in mind if next Cumulative update is also messed up. The tool has already starting downloading and there's no way to stop it :\

#14 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:59 PM

There are other options before doing a clean install.

Repair with an in-place upgrade...

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Refresh with Keep My Files option...

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

You will need to open the Command Prompt to run the sfc /scannow.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.  This will open the Command Prompt.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select the drive which Windows is installed on (this usually is the C: drive), click/tap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If there are more than one log you can identify the log you want by the date and time it was run.  

Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Edited by dc3, 12 July 2017 - 08:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users