Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless printing and VPN

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mydarkpassenger

mydarkpassenger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:20 AM

Hello,

I work a service desk job and currently we're having an issue with remote users maintaining a connection to a wireless printer when they are connected to a VPN (GlobalProtect).  Due to the VPN we needed to use IP addresses to set up the printers to work wirelessly, however we were having an issue with IP addresses updating and the printers would need to have their IP addresses updated through HP's Update Your IP Address software.  I recently started setting up static IPs for these printers, however I have been hearing that even with this method some people are losing connection to their printers after a period of time which would need to be fixed by running HP's Update Your IP Address software.   I was curious if anyone else has run into a similar issue and how they resolved the issue short of telling them to always have their printer plugged into USB in order to print while on the VPN?  Also I was curious if anyone knows why this issue is occurring?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

The vpn monopolizes the network interface which means the local network does not exist while on the vpn.

You need the vpn client to be able to do split tunneling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_tunneling

#3 mydarkpassenger

mydarkpassenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

I understand (a bit) regarding the vpn monopolizing the network interface but why would I be able to do printing via IP address for a week or two and then have it stop working on a static ip.  Seems like it should be an all or nothing scenario.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

usual reason static makes a difference is the wrong ip information was entered

or printing was using something other than ip for printing like LPR

Edited by Wand3r3r, 10 May 2017 - 10:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users