Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Virus has totally shut down computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zlloyd1

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:17 AM

I think I have some kind of virus on my MacBook laptop.... :smash:
Almost half of the websites on the internet refuse to open, and come back with either "Server Not Found", or "Connection Timed Out".
This is even websites that I KNOW for a fact are not down, so something is redirecting my Browsers (all of them) to this ignorant error instead of allowing me to use the internet. :killcomp:
I know it is not Firefox, because it does this on Safari and Chrome as well. Whatever infection this is seems to have shut down a good half of the internet somehow.
I tried running Malewarebytes free edition, and it came back that there was nothing found, but there IS a problem, and I need some advice please....
I NEED my computer to finish my work tomorrow, so I cannot play this stupid game with these ridiculous hackers, and I have to find out what is causing this.
PLEASE recommend a free solution to fix my computer as soon as is possible.
:clapping:  :love4u: :clapping:
PS. Please do not post links to solutions because this virus, whatever it is, is thorough, and the links will not open. It will just try to open, and come back with Server Not Found.... :axe: :axe:

Edited by Al1000, 10 May 2017 - 04:00 AM.
moved from Mac OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,961 posts
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:00 AM

This could be something other than a virus. I'll move this topic to the Networking forum for the meantime anyway, as I think it will be more likely to receive relevant responses there.

#3 smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

This is even websites that I KNOW for a fact are not down...

How do you "know" this? Do you have other computers or devices on your home network that connect to these websites? Or do you know because a friend at their house can connect to these sites or your smartphone can connect with using another network (say your cell company's mobile network)? And if you connect the laptop to another network (say a free WiFi network at a coffee shop or local restaurant), do you have the same problem? Answers to these questions will help determine if it might be just your computer that is having an issue or if it might be something with your local network/Internet connection.

Try creating a new user account. Then log into that user account. Do you have the same problems? This will help determine if it is something limited to one users account or something more global related to the computer.

Are you using any third party security products (specifically one with a firewall component) on your Mac? Or just using the built-in macOS firewall?

Last, which version of the macOS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users