Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart Screen for Edge

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:55 AM

I just updated with the Creator Update.  I have a warning that Smart Screen for Edge is off.  (APP and Browser control)  I rarely use Edge.  Is this generally thought to be good to have on?  Pros and cons?

I see Windows Defender Security Center was turned on as a background app by default during the update.  I already have a good av program.  It was off before and receiving updates.  I'm not sure about whether to leave it on or off as a background app. 

Edited by kelkay, 10 May 2017 - 02:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:27 AM

My recommendation is that
  • Best if you are using Windows 10 1703, is Windows Defender Anti-Virus
  • It is good if the Smart Screen is enabled, if necessary, you can always turn it off

#3 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

Thank you Zainmax for your opinion.

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

Thank you Zainmax for your opinion.

:lol:

I'm of the strong belief that it doesn't matter if it's on or off, as long as you don't use Edge.

It was even reported here on Bleeping that there have been numerous issues that browser.

As for the Creators Update, it was posted here  (along with some feedback) on Microsoft's blog, about the roll out & some of the issues (bugs) which may explain the Windows Defender Security Center turning back on.

Been a few other reports (here & out on the net) of odd behavior, across all different machines and apps being impacted by this Update.

Hope that helps.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

I saw that thing on Tech Support scams, and it did worry me.  This installed automatically.  I could've been one of the first ones to get it, but I wanted the bugs ironed out.  So I did not ask for it at all.  I would've preferred to wait even longer for this update, but I guess it wasn't going to let me decide.  It took a very long time to do all the updates.  But as far as I know, it seems to be working okay.  That is a sigh of relief for sure.

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:14 AM

Yeah, I don't suspect it's anything to be too concerned about, least wise from a Security stand point. Tweaks to one's systems - ones that you did not make - have been reported.

You can read a few more other Member's discussing changes brought about from this Update over here.

The whole nature of Windows 10 moving towards a Service has been a huge reason that my household is no longer talking about moving to Linux, we're on our way.

The upside is that my wife is getting a brand new laptop with which I'll install Linux Mint on.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:57 AM

@kelkay

IMO Given the progress made in development of Windows 10 to this point, this operating system is by far the safest for the typical users. I'll get some flack for that statement, and by no means am I trying to take away from other Operating Systems available today

Now on to my spiel addressing the kelkay's original post.

Microsoft Edge and Windows Defender both offer an alternative to installing bloated 3rd. party software to perform the same tasks built into Windows. Windows Smart Screen anaylizes websites you visit foe onsafe content and compares files you download against databases of known malicious downloads and will alert you if a download may harm your system.

The positives...

1) These tools were created by Microsoft to protect you and your Windows installation.

2) The need to install 3rd. party programs such as Chrome, Firefox, Opera to browse the internet are eliminated.

3) The need to install 3rd. party protection programs therefore bloating your system and offering the need to query forums of software manufactures for support.

The negatives

1) Basically None.

I know I'll get a bunch of flack for the above opinions and I admit I am no expert and can deal with flack.

I base my opinions on the fact that back in the Windows development days (way back when Windows 1.0)  Microsoft left security to 3rd. party vendors. Since every security protection program has it's flaws and in most cases bog your system down or require user intervention to tweak the software for maximum security instills a downside for the average user.

Summary

I would stick to native Windows  built in apps as best I could. Sure I know everyone has special needs and for those special needs, systems get bloated with enough additional software often causing the need to sit in a call center technical support queue for hours waiting a answer or enlisting the help of volunteers such as those here in Bleeping Computer. I think it's time better spent reading a forum rather than needing the help of forums or tech support queues.

Old Rocker

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

Old Rocker,

I actually agree with your overall take, but not on Edge specifically.

It was shipped with the initial release in the "barely usable" state and has come far since then, but it is still nothing like other mature web browsers.  Also, and this would not concern most of the general public but it is an issue, from an accessibility standpoint [being able to be used successfully with a screen reader of choice, not just Narrator] Edge is a nightmare to this day although it has improved over time.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Winterland, thank you for your thoughts.  I had seen that thread, and had read some other stuff.   This is a native Win10 computer, so I could've had the update much sooner.  I did not want it, as I have had some bad issues in the past with major updates starting with Win8-8.1, that made me dread any major updates like this. 

Old Rocker, I respect what you are saying.  I have had a Windows computer since maybe 1994.   Things have definitely changed since then.  Some for the good, and definitely some for the bad too.  I have lost confidence in most av programs, including Windows.  I have had some very big name av programs in the past.  I am pretty happy with the one I have, but it too has allowed me to get a virus, and it did not find it on a scan.  I was angry, but I guess no av program is 100%.  I even had a paid firewall program, but I think it was when I had the Win 8 computer, it no longer worked for me, and I had to stop the service.  Their tech support tried hard to get me going, but it just didn't take.  Now I am on the Win firewall, mainly because of the cost.  I have never been happy with the IE browsers compared to 3rd party offerings.  I went to what I liked.

I used to love the Windows programs such as Office, and their old photo viewers.  Then the price went out of reach for Office, and I went to free office programs.  They even had a deal that you didn't know about when you bought your mouse, it could only be used on that computer, and not others possibly in your household.  That made me quite perturbed when I read that.  Still I was happy with Microsoft overall until Win 8.  I loved Win7, and Win8 once I figured it out.  The update to 8.1 is when I started having second thoughts about Windows in a major way.  Since then I don't trust MS fully.  I still think of getting the divorce from them from time to time.  But I haven't followed through.  I thought Win10 would be the end of the issues like the 8.1 fiasco.  But now they have already had two major updates, without calling it a new number.  I can't say either one did anything earth shattering for me.  This update luckily went smoothly, as far as I know.  With the privacy issues of Win10, I have been upset. I have clamped down the settings as well as I can.  They seem to want to improve their image, and I appreciate that.  That doesn't mean they have gained my full trust back...not by a long shot. 

Oh, and I do agree with britechguy on Edge.  I prefer another browser, and Edge seemed usable.  But I have also read of too many issues with Edge.  So there is no way I would depend on it right now, as my only browser.

Edited by kelkay, 11 May 2017 - 10:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users