Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

re-encoding broken mp3s.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 programmed2receive

programmed2receive

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:31 AM

I have a question about fixing broken mp3 files.

I have a massive collection of music files Ive gotten from various sources. most of them ripped from my own CDs at one time or another. throughout my collection,  I've had a few that have partially 'corrupted '  in between being copied and moved about. The ones that have broken have all had either bad/strange time signatures or have been unable to play on certain computers. for example, some files will stop playing halfway through the song and act like the progress bar is up at 1-2 minutes or exhibit other time like problem. Also I've had a collection of songs that were hidden in the Recycle Bin of an old  Windows XP laptop I had in the closet, that would not play on my phone but would on a PC..

Anyways, the way I've addressed this is, If I can get them to play at all, I open them in a DAW software like Audacity, lay them out in PCM then recompress them into a new mp3. here i can also tweak the volume, remove tape hiss etc * 

This method works fine, but I've noticed some of the songs that I've edited seem to have the same wiggy like time sig on them. a couple will randomly pause during playback and one even did pretend the time was up at 1:5 min makining me start it over. 

this is occasional. and always seems to happen on my Android phone.

Is it possible for glitches in a mp3 to carry over if you recompress it this way? Is there a better way to do this?

Edited by programmed2receive, 10 May 2017 - 01:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 programmed2receive

programmed2receive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

anybody?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:53 PM

I don't have any experience with the following program but it may help you diagnose the issues with your MP3s.  The program has been ported to Windows but it is actually a linux program so using it on a live linux distro may be better.

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/

Also this software

http://www.trishtech.com/2012/01/mp3-validator-fix-and-repair-corrupt-mp3-files/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users