Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*PC TURNS ON AND OFF REPEATABLY*

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pcnoob222

Pcnoob222

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:49 PM

This is my first build so there is no viruses or anything. My specs ga-h110m-h motherboard, evga 500w, intel i5 6660k are Ok so I done some research of this problem and so far came up with nothing, heres my problem so when I start my PC it turns on and then off and keeps doing this. Some solutions I already tried was switch the ram slots, try with one ram in each,etc I also checked if the cables were loose and none of them were. I have no idea what the problem is should I remove my CMOS battery and wait 2 minutes then put it back in? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

Hrm could still be bad wiring.

Double check your wiring.

What ram sticks did you buy?

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 May 2017 - 08:17 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Pcnoob222

Pcnoob222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

I think my wiring is good, my ram is ballistix 2x4gb ram (red) I have my suspicions that its my graphics card because I accidentally dropped it and before when it was working the fan would power on for 15 seconds than turn off, as of right now I'm returning it and getting a new one and will test it. Should I remove my CMOS battery or just replace my graphics card before I do anything else? 

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:01 PM

Ouch. No wait for your gpu replacement as it could have been shorting out.
Give the computer a try though without the gpu to make sure the issue isn't elsewhere. I mean you do have intels integrated gpu to give you something to work with for now

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 May 2017 - 05:06 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Pcnoob222

Pcnoob222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

I tried it without the GPU and the computer did the same thing I'll check my wiring again and try it, regardless i'm getting a new GPU just incase.. 

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:11 PM

You might have killed the motherboard by powering on your bad gpu though, hard to say

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 Pcnoob222

Pcnoob222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

*UPDATE* Well I tried it and re-plugged every wire, cable management is a B grading for being organized. This time the computer took a little bit longer to shut it was 10 seconds instead of 5 seconds so I guess my wiring was a little loose but it just slightly changed the time of re-looping.

#8 Pcnoob222

Pcnoob222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

*UPDATE* Well I tried it and re-plugged every wire, cable management is a B grading for being organized. This time the computer took a little bit longer to shut it was 10 seconds instead of 5 seconds so I guess my wiring was a little loose but it just slightly changed the time of re-looping.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

Yeah that's still a bad sign

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 Pcnoob222

Pcnoob222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

I have no idea of what to do should I just return the board and get a new one?? But the last time I used it was when I editing stuff in the B.I.O.S. and Overclocked I exited and saved then my PC started doing repeating to start and shut off. I think my B.I.O.S. is messed up I might have to get a new board or try to restart by removing my CMOS battery.

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

Yes, do a factory default reset.  That will reset the BIOS back to the factory settings.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

Yes try a bios reset but I would not rule out worst case scenario until it works

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 May 2017 - 06:18 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 Pcnoob222

Pcnoob222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

Ok I got good news and bad news, the bad news is I have to get my graphics card replaced because it operates everything except for the fan so it might overheat while i'm gaming. The good news is bleepingcomputer is getting a 5 star review for helping me understand what went wrong and how to fix it. Thank you MadmanRB for helping me through the way, and at least my motherboard didn't short out. The problem was I overclocked one of my parts and the motherboard I guess couldn't handle it so it kept turning on and off and I had to restart the CMOS battery. Again thank you to everyone that helped out i'm glad to have met you guys.

P.S. I haven't installed drivers but my fan works on startup is this a good sign or should I still get a new GPU. My last question is when I got on windows 10 I cannot connect to the internet the only way I can is by Ethernet is there anyway to do this wireless.

Edited by Pcnoob222, 11 May 2017 - 04:39 PM.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

You are welcome and phew you dodged a bullet there, I mean yeah you might have messed with thew bios too much and made it angry, it happens.

I was worried there that there could have been a short from the GPU once you said you dropped it, such things can happen sadly.

But glad you got it working again.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users