Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VUDU moving streaming

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

I've got 32-bit Tahrpup 6.0.5 installed along with Chrome, I can get youtube and netfilx to work but I can't watch the movies off Vudu. I see on their website that Chrome is supported, but I can't find anything about Linux or Windows, not sure if that makes a difference. And since I'm new to Linux I'm not sure how to work the firewall but I found on the vudu site a list of ports that need to be opened. Not sure if that is my problem or not.

https://vudu.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/113/related/1

Also I'm not sure if I need Flash installed or not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by SolusUmbra, 09 May 2017 - 04:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

Chrome dropped 32bit linux support so you may need firefox instead.

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 May 2017 - 08:21 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,988 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:37 AM

Vivaldi is also a surprisingly great browser to run, better than the current Opera, and in some ways faster than Google Chrome. :thumbup2:

https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en_US

There's also FlashPeak Slimjet that's also fast & has adblocking inbuilt, the Web pages we desire to view loads faster because of this & includes a 32 bit version. :)

http://www.slimjet.com/en/dlpage.php

If either of these fails, always give Firefox a shot, although at the time Mozilla is also transforming it to be more & more Chrome-like by the week. Either way, there's choices over Google.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:05 AM

I installed both Vivaldi and Slimjet to see which one I like better BUT, when I go to start them I get a pop up that says;

Program  can not be run as root,

Please start program as a normal user. If you need to run as root for development, rerun with the --no-sandbox flag.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Maybe our puppy expert can help you, I will point him here

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

Maybe our puppy expert can help you, I will point him here

Hi, Madman. I'll see what I can do....no guarantees, mind..!

@SolusUmbra:-

M-mm. I've never even heard of VUDU, I gotta confess. I've just been boning up on it, but I still ain't a whole lot wiser for my efforts..! From what I've been able to figure out, it's a more locked-down version of NetFlix and Amazon Prime. It appears that Linux support has been patchy for years.

I found a VUDU forum thread from 5/6 years ago, according to which it supported Linux at one point.....but there was a change at the helm, and although it would still play stuff, the powers-that-be had removed the ability to actually start things.

Apparently it's possible to watch it in 32-bit FireFox, by using 'User Agent Overrider', and fooling VUDU into thinking you're watching it in Windows, using IE-whatever-it-happens-to-be....10? 11? Up till a couple of releases ago, you were having to pull the same stunt with NetFlix in FireFox, to fool NetFlix into thinking you were watching it in Chrome..!

That kinda sounds like the best alternative to me. Also, it appears to be USA-only, meaning I can't test it here in the UK.....and I'm not keen on messing around with VPNs...!!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-overrider/?src=ss

Give that a try, and see what happens. If it's 'no soap', we'll hafta figure out summat else, I guess.....

I know you prefer FF, 'cos ya said so to me. How did you actually install SlimJet, just out of curiosity? I'll bet you used the .deb, didn't'cha? You'd get on better with the Puppy-'tweaked' version of SlimJet, which has already had the 'running-as-root' issue taken care of. This one here:-

https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB

OscarTalks has been updating the 32-bit versions of SlimJet for quite some time. He takes care of many of the 32-bit Chromium-based browsers; I take care of the 64-bit versions. Again, it's a perfectly safe download. You want the second item down for Tahr 6.05.

There's a couple of alternatives for ya to try. Let us know what happens, please.

Mike. :wink:

Mike.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 May 2017 - 12:36 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

I do like FF better, however my friend (whos old laptop I'm "fixing") likes chrome better. Ever step I learn doing mine I use towards his, problem came when he wants his more for movies and streaming (different website then I use), and I wanted it more for gaming/everything. HAHA

Yes I tired slimjet from the website but I will give it another go, I think I might of saw it also in the quickpet stuff.

*Was wrong it's a browser called SlimBoat in the quickpet.

Look on the bright side at least I'm getting good at installing and removing programs. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by SolusUmbra, 10 May 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#8 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

Ok so far here is what I'm coming acrossed;

SlimJet;

NetFlix, Runs right off the bat like Chrome did

Vudu: Still wont play.

FF; With User Agent Overrider

NetFlix - Getting the same error message that I had on mine, Libavcodec may be vulnerable or is not supported and should be updated to play video.

Vudu; Took away the play option. Turned Agent off and play option returned, but movies will not play.

Also as a side note, it seems that Vudu might need Flash Player

Edited by SolusUmbra, 10 May 2017 - 03:23 PM.

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

Nooooo, ya definitely don't want SlimBoat. Hasn't had any development for at least 3-4 years. That one's dead in the water...

Do I take it you still haven't got Flash installed? Hm. Okay... I did come across references earlier today to VUDU needing FlashPlayer...

Menu->Internet->GetFlash Install Flashplayer. 

What d'you get? Are you getting the latest Flashplayer offered to you (25.0.0.171).....or are you getting a small box saying you can't connect to the server?

If the latter, it's because the download URL is hosted on the forums' servers, but the script for the version installed with the OS references an older URL, hence why it won't connect. Adobe are extremely fond of playing musical URLs..!!

If that's the case, go here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=942264#942264

...and download the current version of GetFlash (1.7). As things stand, this one's been working for a while now. Simply click to install. It'll overwrite the old one, then Menu->Internet->GetFlash Install FlashPlayer again, and see what you get. Should work after that.

One more thing. Have you updated the PPM's database yet?

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 May 2017 - 05:00 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

I have tried installing the flash player and using the latest version but it didn't change anything. When I went to remove it I saw a message that said, newest version might not work on older system and an older version of flash might have to be used, but I can't remember which ones it said to try.

Latest, V25.0.0.171

Edited by SolusUmbra, 10 May 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

Hm. Okay...

Well, I'm by no means an expert on this kinda stuff. That said, I would strongly recommend, as I did to winterland, that you register with the Murga-Linux Puppy Forums:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php

...and enquire further on there. We have some extremely clever guys'n'gals on the Forums, who could help you a sight further than I can. I've gone about as far as I can with this one; I'm not 'passing the buck', but I know when I'm out of my depth! This needs input from multiple directions...  :scratchhead:

Sorry I can't help any further.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 May 2017 - 05:31 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

To stream VUDU videos you need a Vudu or Walmart.com account.....even to watch the free ones with ads. I was able to view

the previews without an account and it did use Flash. I am using 32 bit Ubuntu 14.04 and latest Firefox...with latest Adobe Flash.

Here is a link to a page with more info.....VUDU - Frequently Asked Questions

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

MINIMUM of a Core i5, huh? Ah, well, that lets me out of even trying it; my Athlon 64 X2 3800+ is so far behind the times it ain't even a laughing matter.....  :rolleyes:

Good job NetFlix's requirements are a whole lot lower! The old Athlon dual-core runs NetFlix quite happily...

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

(Funnily enough, if you're unlucky enough to have to watch it in Windows (Silverlight 4 or Silverlight 5), then there is a list of minimum hardware requirements. If you're watching it in HTML5, then it's all down to the software...and there's no mention of 'minimum hardware requirements'.

Probably explains why I've heard of people being able to watch it using ancient single-core Pentium Ms..!)

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 May 2017 - 06:37 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:33 AM

More info....Vudu - Wikipedia

QUOTE a wee bit: Vudu offers movies in four formats: standard-definition (480p and 480i), high-definition (720p), full high-definition (1080p and 1080i) and ultra high-definition (2160p) or commonly known as UHD or 4k.

Wouldn't need a i5 to handle the 720p.

I would suggest that anyone wanting to view movies on a Linux platform to first open an account and test using the free movies with ads.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,988 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:29 AM

Nooooo, ya definitely don't want SlimBoat. Hasn't had any development for at least 3-4 years. That one's dead in the water...

Mike, thanks for this tip, I had no idea that FlashPeak Slimjet wasn't still actively supported, although I must admit, the few times I tried it, looked like the browser was well tuned (speedwise). Looking at the release dates (5/09/2017), one would think that Slimjet is actively supported. Maybe there's something that I'm missing, although I don't run it as much as Vivaldi (more below). 

bullet_square_blue.png64bit Deb Package(.deb) ( 54.68MB, 2017-05-9, MD5:56D250F46ECC5F82D9585AF93262C596)

bullet_square_blue.png32bit Deb Package(.deb) ( 53.74MB , 2017-05-9, MD5:094CC349F870208AECCCBD26F48F3887 )

However, Vivaldi is indeed under constant active development, am getting a new version regularly & am trying to get used to the browser on one OS. I like the fact that there's an inbuilt Mail client (although not like Thunderbird), still a browser with email is good to have. Plus Vivaldi is feature filled in other ways & keeps adding more, much of the team is the original Opera developers, so are highly experienced. :thumbup2:

As one who cares for the environment in which we live, so that future generations can enjoy what we have, I like the Vivaldi's tree planting program, this is a winner for everyone. :thumbsup:

The closet device that I have to the VUDU is an Apple TV (3rd gen) that was given to me for a computer repair after she purchased a more feature filled ROKU device (4K compatible), while I have the Apple installed to my Vizio Smart TV, seems that everything requires payment & an Apple (or iTunes) account, so basically a paperweight that uses my bandwidth for firmware upgrades. :P

Hopefully the OP will find a browser that'll meet the need at hand, I'm fresh out of other ideas than stated in prior post. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users