Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Matbleepa UJ-8505 Driver

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

Acer Aspire laptop....Vista OS. Powered up and did not have my above mentioned DVD. I had the impression that VISTA OS installed this driver, so I removed driver from the Device Manager, and powered up thinking Vista would then re-install driver. Vista attempted install but gave error message.." Unable to successfully install, etc.". Is there an external link to the driver for this device so I ran re-install. I did try to let Windows search for driver but was unsuccessful.

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.
Acer Aspire 5100 laptop, with Vista OS. Lost driver for the above....went to device manager and removed driver from device manger, thinking Vista OS would pickup on restart. Restarted Vista....Vista attempted to re-install, but gave error that it was "  unable to install,etc.". Is there an external link,etc to getting this driver back on my laptop. Dvd not shown on my Computer, but it does have power, etc...just need a driver.

I GOT FAT FINGERS ON THE KEYBOARD. SO APOLOGY FOR THE HEADER UP THERE...

Matbleepa UJ-8505   Mod Edit:  BC filters have altered the manufacturer name, no cause for concern/explanation - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 10 May 2017 - 11:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

It's a DVD burner. These generally use generic drivers built into Windows. Manufacturers usually do not supply drivers for these components. There is a known issue with Vista losing DVD/CD drive functionality. If this is the problem, the fix is set out here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929461/the-cd-drive-or-the-dvd-drive-does-not-work-as-expected-on-a-computer-that-is-running-windows-vista

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

I don't know anything about Acer support.  Normally you can go to the company's web site and download the drivers for their machines.

This is assuming that the device came with the machine and is not something that you added later.

#4 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

jonuk: Went to MS site and attempted to do the fix....Cannot seem to find the entry that pertains to subkey..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I can see these entries but do not see the referenced area in the MS fix.....appreciate the help. Acer has NO support for this laptop...searched the site..like most they are purely interested in selling a new product. A google for the driver yields the typical harvest of " BUY MY DRIVER FINDER" software.

MATbleepA UJ-8505

Edited by jake21, 10 May 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#5 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

Went over the directions from the Microsoft site again...this time very, very slowly. Previously I had just selected "restart" and could not see results. I shut the computer down and rebooted after about a 5 minute shutdown. VOILA....I know have the DVD/CD running. A good lesson, ..sometimes " restart" and "reboot" obtain different results. Thanks to all for taking time to help out!!!!

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

I'd be careful with 3rd party driver sites, especially ones that try to get you to install software to supposedly update your drivers. You may find when you search Google etc. for drivers for CD/DVD drives that some files show up (hosted by the drive manufacturer or elsewhere) but these are often firmware updates rather than drivers.

jonuk: Went to MS site and attempted to do the fix....Cannot seem to find the entry that pertains to subkey..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I can see these entries but do not see the referenced area in the MS fix....

I see. What entries are there? You can take a screenshot using Snipping Tool if necessary.

On my Windows 7 PC (sorry I don't have anything running Vista at the moment) I have the following...

DbRyDgJ.png

It's the UpperFilters and LowerFilters entries that can somehow cause an issue.  It's a problem that dates back to at least Windows 2000, as I recall doing this exact fix on a machine which "lost" it's DVD drive many years ago.  On my PC there is no UpperFilters entry.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

Went over the directions from the Microsoft site again...this time very, very slowly. Previously I had just selected "restart" and could not see results. I shut the computer down and rebooted after about a 5 minute shutdown. VOILA....I know have the DVD/CD running. A good lesson, ..sometimes " restart" and "reboot" obtain different results. Thanks to all for taking time to help out!!!!

Looks like I posted my follow up at the same time you did. Well done, and glad you got it fixed!! :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:23 PM

Matbleepa UJ-8505 Driver?  do you work for the NSA?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/vault-7-wikileaks-docs-hint-cia-could-bypass-21-security-products/

???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users