Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Needs help uninstalling software fully

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SomeSon

SomeSon

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

I recently bought a printer, and installed the software that came with it but then found out the printer isn't right, so had to return it.  Now I'm trying to remove the software.  It isn't listed under programs and features, so I can't use that method, and I can't delete it directly from Programs(x86) due to the way Windows 10 has been messed up.  How do I remove it?

Windows 10 OS

Intel Processor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

Try the free version of Revo Uninstaller: https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

#3 SomeSon

SomeSon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

I've looked at this but it only seems to see the same things listed under programs and features, whereas the problem here is that the software in question isn't listed in there.  How can I use it to target folders?

Edited by SomeSon, 09 May 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

The pro version of Revo is good for 30 days and it has an audit feature where it runs a log of all changes during an install. Possibly reinstalling the software and letting Revo log the changes will allow you to uninstall the program through Revo.

See page 20 - Tracing Programs.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/manuals/RevoUninstallerProUsersmanual.pdf

#5 SomeSon

SomeSon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

I've sent the software DVD back with the printer, so I can't reinstall it.  Ideally there are just two folders that I need to delete.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

What was the make and model of the printer? The software should be available on the printer's support site. Is this software you are trying to uninstall conflicting with some other software you are trying to install?

Is the printer shown in Devices and Printers? 

#7 SomeSon

SomeSon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

No, there is no conflict I just want the unused files gone and sadly I needed to have the printer connected to load the software.  It was a Brother:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/brother-all-in-one-laser-printer-mono-1200dpi-upto-40ppm-9cm-touchscreen-lcd-display-usb-20-10-100-l

Anyway, I got it figured.

1. Type cmd in Start field -> Right click Command Prompt in Menu that appears and selected Run as Administrator.

2. In Command Window type the following and then hit ENTER: 

net user administrator /active:yes

3. Close Command Prompt.

4. Now hold SHIFT+Left Click Start >>Power Options>>Restart.

5. Select Troubleshoot>>Advanced Options>>Command Prompt.

6. Choose an account with Administrator privileges, and type password (may not be one set, if so just hit Enter.  System will restart at command prompt.

7. At Command Prompt, type the following and then hit ENTER:

rd /s /Q "Full path of folder"

Where ''Full path of folder' is path of folder and content to be deleted.  E.g. for me it was:

rd /s /Q "C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother"

8. Folder has now been deleted, so restart by typing the following and then hit ENTER:

Shutdown /r

You can consider this one solved.  In my fumblings I also attempted to do it via a System Restore but subsequently found out that Microsoft had messed that up in the latest few patches.  So I found this way of fixing it.  You will need to repeat steps 1-3 of the above instruction and then instruction set number 2 on the following link:

https://www.repairwin.com/fix-system-restore-failed-0x80070091-in-windows-10/

After this you will find that a new C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder is created and you can delete the WindowsAppsOLD folder by following the same procedure as steps 4 to 8 of the above list in this post.

Hopefully this helps someone one day.

Edited by SomeSon, 10 May 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

That doesn't "uninstall" anything, it simply deletes a folder that contained the files you installed. However, since this was more a desire on your part to just "vacuum the dust" rather than correct any specific problem, you've accomplished your goal :)

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

I still don't understand, why didn't you just enable Hidden files and folders, and then went and deleted the folder yourself, but had to do all this command prompt stuff?:)

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

It wasn't necessarily a hidden folder - he just didn't know the name and location of the folder. Regardless, as far as the OP is concerned it's all good now.

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

I see. Well, I guess there's nothing else left now, besides walking off into the sunset...:)

#12 SomeSon

SomeSon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

I still don't understand, why didn't you just enable Hidden files and folders, and then went and deleted the folder yourself, but had to do all this command prompt stuff? :)

It wouldn't delete.  Apparently in Windows 10, stuff in Programs(x86) doesn't delete anymore.  It wouldn't allow me to change the permissions either.

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

It wouldn't delete.  Apparently in Windows 10, stuff in Programs(x86) doesn't delete anymore.  It wouldn't allow me to change the permissions either.

Goddamn Windows 10 and its permissions! Anyways, I'm glad you worked it all out.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users