Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crippling BSOD's on a Windows Vista PC

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hotcoffeenap

hotcoffeenap

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

Hi guys, back again (old user, new username), praying you enlightened ones may once again share your wisdom and knowledge with a lowly fool such as myself.

I read the thread about posting instructions, and just like the last time I sought help, I was unable to properly use the Sysnative BSOD Collection App. Upon saving it to my Documents folder, when I double-clicked to run it, a blue screen popped up for a millisecond and closed immediately, creating no new folders where it was said to. 

Also worth mention, this is a continuation of a problem I began encountering a few months ago. I was getting BSOD's regularly, which then seemed to more or less stop, only getting one maybe once every two weeks. As with most things, I put it off until now, where I'm not getting one roughly every 2-3 hours, sometimes as soon as my Windows login screen is supposed to appear.

That being said, not sure what my next step would be, so I await your replies. 

Thanks in advance as always,

James

P.S. Attached is a screen cap of the window that popped up and closed when I tried to run the Collection App.

Attached Files

Edited by hotcoffeenap, 09 May 2017 - 11:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

Can you zip and attach the minidumps in C:\Windows\Minidump? Because of the age of your system, I'm worrying about hardware. Will you please run MemTest86 for a minimum of eight passes? Here's a good guide if you need help. Also, please run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Be sure to test all your drives with the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Generic tests.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 hotcoffeenap

hotcoffeenap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

Can I burn MemTest86 onto a CD-R or does it have to be DVD-R/RW?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Can I burn MemTest86 onto a CD-R or does it have to be DVD-R/RW?

CD-R or DVD-R/RW is fine. 

#5 hotcoffeenap

hotcoffeenap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

About to do the MemTest now, here's the Minidumps for the time being.

EDIT: Scratch that, I'll be running the test tonight when I go to bed, seeing as it takes quite awhile, and the guide recommends running the test overnight.

Attached Files

Edited by hotcoffeenap, 10 May 2017 - 01:22 PM.

#6 hotcoffeenap

hotcoffeenap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

ALRIGHT! So, I had MemTest running, was going for about an hour, found no errors, but I decided to let it go overnight like I had said, and upon waking up it had discovered 3 errors. I went to find a piece of paper to write down everything I seen, and while doing so, the test suddenly said "UNEXPECTED INTERRUPTION - HALTING CPU" or something along those lines.

I'm wondering if the results had saved somewhere for you guys to take a look at?

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

Wow, all of this is pointing to hardware issues. Here are some guesses of what's going on:

-faulty RAM causing CPU trouble

-faulty CPU causing RAM trouble

-faulty motherboard causing RAM and CPU trouble

-overheating caused by the RAM test

Can you boot into Windows? If so backup all your data. How old is your computer? It may make more sense to buy a new computer than to start replacing parts, not knowing which part(s) is to blame.

Good luck!

Edited by bwv848, 11 May 2017 - 09:40 AM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#8 hotcoffeenap

hotcoffeenap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

Wow, all of this is pointing to hardware issues. Here are some guesses of what's going on:

-faulty RAM causing CPU trouble

-faulty CPU causing RAM trouble

-faulty motherboard causing RAM and CPU trouble

-overheating caused by the RAM test

Can you boot into Windows? If so backup all your data. How old is your computer? It may make more sense to buy a new computer than to start replacing parts, not knowing which part(s) is to blame.

Good luck!

It's an old Compaq Presario SR5262NX

Dual-Core 1.8GHz processor

Most of what's inside however was stuff I found in the trash and Frankenstein'd together, I'm not exactly what you'd call "well versed" in the financial area. But here's some bit of revelation: I had found a pretty decent graphics card that had an HDMi slot, enabled me to play and watch things in 1080, sure was a nice find. But I took that out, I haven't had a crash since. Possible it was too powerful for my pc or something along those lines?

Edited by hotcoffeenap, 12 May 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

Most of what's inside however was stuff I found in the trash and Frankenstein'd together, I'm not exactly what you'd call "well versed" in the financial area. But here's some bit of revelation: I had found a pretty decent graphics card that had an HDMi slot, enabled me to play and watch things in 1080, sure was a nice find. But I took that out, I haven't had a crash since. Possible it was too powerful for my pc or something along those lines?

Could be. Systems will behave strangely if they don't get enough power. I'm still concerned about your RAM though — can you replace it?

#10 hotcoffeenap

hotcoffeenap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

Unfortunately no, I'm paycheck to paycheck, was hoping whatever may have been wrong was like a virus or something configured incorrectly. 

On the positive side, still haven't had a crash since removing the graphics card. :|

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

Alright then, good luck! :)

regards,

bw848

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users