Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Volume Information

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

I've been trying to find how my disk storage was being allocated.  I used the program 'Space Sniffer' only to discover that System File Information is using 79.1gb out of my 1tb disk drive.  I can see a small section included in System File Information is used up as System Restore.  System Volume Information is using more space than Windows.  What is its purpose and how can I minimize it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

What percentage of the disk is being used by System Restore?

https://www.howtogeek.com/237230/how-to-enable-system-restore-and-repair-system-problems-on-windows-10/

#3 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

System Restore is currently set to 5% of available space which would be equivalent to about 50gb.  Windows is using 19.2gb.  Does this mean I can only have two restore points?  That doesn't seem right.  What would be an appropriate amount of space to reserve for System Restore considering both the size of Windows and the size of my disk drive?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

I am not sure if this is available on Windows 10 but in the Search box type System Restore. Click on Next. Where is shows available Restore Points check the box that says "Show More Restore Points". How many restore points do you have?

#5 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

This is a recently installed computer.  Presently there are only two restore points.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

You can use disc imaging software and disable System Restore completely.

#7 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

I regularly backup my system using Acronis True Image Home which does a really great job.  I've had to recover my system a few times over the past 10 years.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

Well, if you have multiple current True Image backups on off-disc media you are free to disable system restore :)

Edited by Allan, 09 May 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#9 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:34 PM

Recovery from a backup only protects me from the last time a backup was executed.  If I am about to perform a registry edit, I will always create a new restore point in case something goes wrong.  I can then restore to a place immediately prior to making a mistake if necessary.  What I am trying to find out is the amount of disk space required for each restore point before the operating system begins to replace the earliest one.  How does one determine the amount of space required?. Right now, 5% of 1tb is allocated to restore points which translates to 50gb.  On the computer I used before this one, I allocated 5% of 320gb and that was certainly enough for many restore points.  Do I really need to allocate as much as I am now since 5 or 6 restore points is enough for me to feel completely safe?  Would 2% or 3% allow for 5 or 6 restore points?

Edited by richierein, 09 May 2017 - 07:36 PM.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:44 AM

The more Max usage you set, the more restore points you will be able to have available for the drive. Of course, this will use more free space on the drive, so be sure to set an amount that balances your needs.

Posted Image

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:04 AM

Nothing is a Gaurantee to work ,  if you edit the registry or something else goes wrong.

So i wouldnt rely on System Restore Points to get you out of a situation.

You can have 5 - 10 Points ,  and when you have an issue you try the latest and it fails , so you go to the next Point and it fails.

By this time youve wasted 30 min trying to restore it , and then it will say no changes made - reverting back etc.

Where as simply just taking an Image prior to doing any Reg Edits  would suffice.{ 10 - 20 min }.

Reinstalling an image takes me 10 min on a SSD , just Windows , no personal files.{ 28G }.

This all will depend on how big the Image will be and if personal files are also stored on the C:\ Drive.

I dont , C:\ is Windows and D:\ Drive is my Personal Data , { Samsung 500G SSD Partitioned }.

All Images and Backups on the D:\ and then copied again externally to another Portable Drive.

My System Restore is turned off - dont need it or rely on it.

You can never have to many backups to save you , but too many restore points may not save you.

You could simply create a System Restore Point - Manually ,  prior to doing anything , so in reality 2 would be sufficent.

#12 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

This goes back to my original question.  How much disk space should be allocated for each desired restore point?

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

Why not just take a look in the folder and see how large each restore point is? If you have a problem accessing the folder just take ownership of the folder (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-take-ownership-context-menu-windows-10-a.html)

#14 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:33 AM

This goes back to my original question.  How much disk space should be allocated for each desired restore point?

Disk space setting is not allocated to each Restore Point .

So ,  If you set say 10% of 500G then you have 50G to use and fill { with x amount } of Restore Points until it cant add anymore.

And when it fills , the oldest gets removed and the latest gets added.

#15 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Disable System Restore.

Rely on your system images stored on USB drives.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users