Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice about setting up a Windows Server 2016 environment and roles

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ServerEnthusiast

ServerEnthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

I am planning to buy a few Intel mini PCs in order to setup a Windows Server 2016 environment. I am doing this for fun and learning purposes - server administration and technical support interest me, even though I no longer work in that field. It is my goal to simulate faults and etc. in order to learn more about server administration and technical support - I know it would probably be better to get a good PC and setup a few VMs on it but I don't like the feel of VMs that much and would prefer to have physical cores. I am looking for advice on how exactly to setup my environment. The roles I wish to install are:

Active Directory Certificate Services
Active Directory Domain Services
Active Directory Federation Services
Application Server
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server
DNS Server
File Services
Network Policy and Access Services (I plan to have 1 core/PC function as a router and the rest be behind it on a separate network)
Remote Desktop Services
Web Server (IIS)
Windows Server Update Services

maybe Windows Deployment Services - depending on whether the PCs have Pre-boot Execution Environment (PXE) boot ROMs

I know it's a best practice to have each core/domain controller with only one role, but I think I can allow the DNS and DHCP to function together, for example, I believe they wouldn't bother each-other right?

What would you say?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users