Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Perfect Pitch!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:52 AM

I found myself have perfect pitch since i was 12, and since then, ive never heard of anyone else that actually have perfect pitch. Tell me if you have it too!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:50 AM

no one?

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:55 AM

ok

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:17 AM

How can you find out if you have perfect pitch? I sure would like to think I do. hehehe

I wish I had seen this sooner.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:20 AM

Are we talking baseball or singing? :thumbsup:
Color me confused. lol
BTW I don't rate in either category. :flowers:
I can smack a ball pretty far considering my size.
And sing like an Angel but only when no one else is listening. :trumpet:

Edited by Scarlett, 09 September 2006 - 09:22 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:57 AM

Maybe he means "pitch" as in "pitching an advertisement", or "pitching an idea", like writers do....

If you mean the baseball term, i think "perfect pitch" would classify any ball that wasn't touched by the batter. What may be a perfect pitch for 1 batter may be the worst pitch for a different batter.

If you're talking about pitch in music tones, it's incedibly hard to be "perfect". You'd have to produce exactly the same wavelength as a given standard for pitches. I've heard a few tuners that vary in pitch very, VERY slightly, some being more sharp or flat as other tuners.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:56 PM

Just for clarification of the term.

Perfect pitch - The ability to hear and identify a note without any other musical support.

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

Ok Thanks Animal. :thumbsup:
Is that at all like "playing by ear"?
Posted Image

#9 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:42 PM

Ok Thanks Animal. :thumbsup:
Is that at all like "playing by ear"?

Although unsure, I suspect not, somehow. For instance, I could listen to a song and play it on piano without sheet music, etc - but my singing even scares me! Grin.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#10 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:12 AM

Oh, in that case, i can SORT of do that. I've had that test before in high school jazz band, i was able to identify about 85% of the notes played.

My band director would play a note on the piano, and, with our backs turned, we had 1 chance to play the same note on our instrument. I played trombone/bass trombone, and was able to get within a few cents almost every time.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 10 September 2006 - 02:12 AM.

#11 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:23 AM

Perfect pitch is the ability to be able to identify the note of a tone. A person with perfect pitch can hear a note and know that it is a "C", or an "E flat", or whatever. It's like seeing colors. We know red without having to look at a red "tuning fork" first, if you will. There are courses for sale that claim to teach perfect pitch; I've never tried them. Also, there are people who have relative pitch. It's like a "step down" from perfect pitch. These people can hear one tone, and then another, and be able to tell exactly how many "tones apart" they are from each other. For example, most of us can tell two tones that are exactly one octave from each other, as long as we hear the second tone immediately after the first. But if you hear a "C" note on a piano, and are told it was a "C", can you tell that the second note is an "F" (or whatever)?

#12 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:37 AM

you got the point, but does anyone have it? Because normally people have relative pitch rather than perfect pitch like me.

#13 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:09 PM

Although I have been a rock musician for about 25 years, I do not have perfect pitch. And even with all those years of experience, my relative pitch is much better than it was as a teen, but still far from perfect. (Perfect as in "flawless", not as in "perfect pitch".

#14 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:54 AM

wow, a rock musician? r u serious? what a pleasure to get a post from you.

#15 mrs ed

mrs ed

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:56 AM

I found myself have perfect pitch since i was 12, and since then, ive never heard of anyone else that actually have perfect pitch. Tell me if you have it too!!

who toll you that you have it?
Iknow I don't have it
if you have it what do you do with it?
av-90996.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users