Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Laptop to Monitor via HDMI - blurry output and can't fix...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lmschune

lmschune

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:26 AM

Hi everyone.

I'm a writer and I was hoping to create myself a desktop unit with my laptop, instead of paying for a desktop or getting an all-in-one option.

I went to Best Buy last night and got this monitor http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-i2279vwhe-21-5-ips-led-fhd-monitor-black-silver/5770304.p?skuId=5770304 , because it wasn't expensive and I was playing around with the model they had set up - the resolution was crisp and the size was what I needed.

I got home and connected it with an HDMI cord to my ACER laptop, and unfortunately the clarity/crispness of what's displayed on the AOC monitor is blurry. My laptop's resolution settings are 1366x768, while the AOC monitor is something like 1466x something else (I can check when I get home), and I was unable to figure out how to adjust it to see if that would solve it. The specs for the monitor says it's a max of 1920x1080, so logically I should be able to adjust the monitor?

The monitor came with a d-sub connector cord, do I need to use that instead of HDMI?

Thanks for any help :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tivum

Tivum

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hi everyone.

I'm a writer and I was hoping to create myself a desktop unit with my laptop, instead of paying for a desktop or getting an all-in-one option.

I went to Best Buy last night and got this monitor http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-i2279vwhe-21-5-ips-led-fhd-monitor-black-silver/5770304.p?skuId=5770304 , because it wasn't expensive and I was playing around with the model they had set up - the resolution was crisp and the size was what I needed.

I got home and connected it with an HDMI cord to my ACER laptop, and unfortunately the clarity/crispness of what's displayed on the AOC monitor is blurry. My laptop's resolution settings are 1366x768, while the AOC monitor is something like 1466x something else (I can check when I get home), and I was unable to figure out how to adjust it to see if that would solve it. The specs for the monitor says it's a max of 1920x1080, so logically I should be able to adjust the monitor?

The monitor came with a d-sub connector cord, do I need to use that instead of HDMI?

Sorry to hear you're having this problem!

Is there anyway you can send me a screenshot with your graphics options WHILE the monitor is hooked up

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

The limitations in the display are based on the laptops video GPU, not the monitor.  It might take a bit of experimentation to try the different modes on the laptop to find one that is satisfying.

#4 lmschune

lmschune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

Hi everyone.

Sorry to hear you're having this problem!

Is there anyway you can send me a screenshot with your graphics options WHILE the monitor is hooked up

Definitely, I'll do that later today!

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

If you can, set the monitor resolution to 1920x1080.  That is the monitor's native resolution.  Panel monitors are very different than tube monitors.  Panels have a native resolution where one pixel (dot) on the screen is one pixel to be displayed.  Any resolution other than the native requires the monitor use two or more pixels on the screen for each pixel to be displayed, this is what causes the monitor to look blurry.

Provided the laptop is capable of putting out 1080p video you should be able to use the monitor at its native resolution.

#6 lmschune

lmschune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

So I'm working on this still - development: when I change the display to 'extend' my laptop screen to the AOC monitor, the picture on the monitor is crystal clear. Exactly what I want. But I don't want to extend it because that'll be difficult with me having to move all of my word docs and excel sheets whenever I'm writing from my laptop screen to the monitor.

Suggestions?

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

What do you want to do?  Use only the AOC monitor or use both the AOC and the laptop screen?

If you only want to use the AOC you should be able to turn the computer on with the AOC connected and then close the lid of laptop.  This should use the AOC as your monitor.

If you want to use both Extend is the only option that will give you a clear picture on the AOC.  If you Extend you can set the AOC as the main display.

#8 lmschune

lmschune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

What do you want to do?  Use only the AOC monitor or use both the AOC and the laptop screen?

If you only want to use the AOC you should be able to turn the computer on with the AOC connected and then close the lid of laptop.  This should use the AOC as your monitor.

If you want to use both Extend is the only option that will give you a clear picture on the AOC.  If you Extend you can set the AOC as the main display.

Yeah, I don't want to use both. I'd like to close my laptop and stuck it under my desk and just use the AOC monitor.

I'd only like to use the AOC which I can, but the problem is when it's not in Extend mode (aka display 2 or duplicate screen), the picture on the AOC monitor is fuzzy and not crisp like it is in extend mode.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

Yeah, I don't want to use both. I'd like to close my laptop and stuck it under my desk and just use the AOC monitor.

I believe that some laptops will allow this while others may not. Some laptops will just automatically go to sleep when you close the lid with not option to set it otherwise, I believe. So, it is possible that you might still need to leave the lid slightly open.

I'd only like to use the AOC which I can, but the problem is when it's not in Extend mode (aka display 2 or duplicate screen), the picture on the AOC monitor is fuzzy and not crisp like it is in extend mode.

Then you likely want to set the "screen mode" on your laptop. It should be done with one of the function keys (it will depend on the brand and model of your laptop). What is your laptop brand and model? The function key will have a little icon on it that looks like a monitor. You will then hold down the "Fn" key and then hit that function key. It will either then toggle through the options or pull up a menu on the screen. Typically, you can switch between laptop screen only, external monitor only, and both screens mirrored.

I am making use of this ability with a friend's Dell laptop where its built-in screen's back lighting died. In the case of this laptop, the function key to use is the F1 key. And it pulls up a menu on the screen to select which option to use (which is was very hard to see since the backlight is dead...I was used to past laptops just toggling between modes, so it took me awhile to figure it out since I could not easily see the screen contents).

If you use the external monitor only option, then the screen resolution may default to the optimal screen resolution. If not, then you will have to change the screen resolution as Kilroy suggested.

If you set it to mirror (as it seems you have been doing), then one of the two screens will be fuzzy. This by default will typically be the external monitor as the system is typically set to your laptop's native resolution. So, unless the external monitor's native resolution is the same as your internal laptop's, the external monitor will typically be fuzzy. You might be able to set the resolution to the laptop's native resolution will in mirror mode, in which case the laptop's screen will now either be fuzzy or maybe oddly stretched. I know I can do such things with my Macs, but I am not sure if there are limitations for some (or all) Windows laptops.

Your last option would be to just use the extended screen mode and set the external monitor as the main/default screen. This will result in the "Start" menu being on the external monitor and have things open by default on the external monitor when it is connected. When it is not connected, you laptop should work as normal. I forget if you will need to reset the external monitor as the primary each time you reconnect the laptop (I don't need to do that with my Mac, but I forget if Windows behaves in the same way). And with the option, you can then also use the laptop screen as an additional screen if you want. This is how I have my Mac laptop setup. I use my larger, external monitor for pretty much every thing, but do have some things left open on the laptop's screen such as my calendar application for constant reference if needed.

#10 lmschune

lmschune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

I believe that some laptops will allow this while others may not. Some laptops will just automatically go to sleep when you close the lid with not option to set it otherwise, I believe. So, it is possible that you might still need to leave the lid slightly open.

Then you likely want to set the "screen mode" on your laptop. It should be done with one of the function keys (it will depend on the brand and model of your laptop). What is your laptop brand and model? The function key will have a little icon on it that looks like a monitor. You will then hold down the "Fn" key and then hit that function key. It will either then toggle through the options or pull up a menu on the screen. Typically, you can switch between laptop screen only, external monitor only, and both screens mirrored.

I am making use of this ability with a friend's Dell laptop where its built-in screen's back lighting died. In the case of this laptop, the function key to use is the F1 key. And it pulls up a menu on the screen to select which option to use (which is was very hard to see since the backlight is dead...I was used to past laptops just toggling between modes, so it took me awhile to figure it out since I could not easily see the screen contents).

If you use the external monitor only option, then the screen resolution may default to the optimal screen resolution. If not, then you will have to change the screen resolution as Kilroy suggested.

If you set it to mirror (as it seems you have been doing), then one of the two screens will be fuzzy. This by default will typically be the external monitor as the system is typically set to your laptop's native resolution. So, unless the external monitor's native resolution is the same as your internal laptop's, the external monitor will typically be fuzzy. You might be able to set the resolution to the laptop's native resolution will in mirror mode, in which case the laptop's screen will now either be fuzzy or maybe oddly stretched. I know I can do such things with my Macs, but I am not sure if there are limitations for some (or all) Windows laptops.

Your last option would be to just use the extended screen mode and set the external monitor as the main/default screen. This will result in the "Start" menu being on the external monitor and have things open by default on the external monitor when it is connected. When it is not connected, you laptop should work as normal. I forget if you will need to reset the external monitor as the primary each time you reconnect the laptop (I don't need to do that with my Mac, but I forget if Windows behaves in the same way). And with the option, you can then also use the laptop screen as an additional screen if you want. This is how I have my Mac laptop setup. I use my larger, external monitor for pretty much every thing, but do have some things left open on the laptop's screen such as my calendar application for constant reference if needed.

This last options sound very close to what I was hoping. I have an ACER, can't remember the model but will get it later tonight. Can I do this external screen default option with windows 10? That's my operating system

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

Since we have established that the laptop will support the resolution, we just need to figure out how to get it to work the way you want.

I'd recommend connecting the monitor then turn on the laptop and close the lid, provided you close the lid before Windows starts it should default to the external monitor.  If the laptop sleeps or shuts down when you close the lid you will need to go into Power Options to change that setting.

You can use the Windows Key + P to change your monitor settings inside of Windows.

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

This last options sound very close to what I was hoping. I have an ACER, can't remember the model but will get it later tonight. Can I do this external screen default option with windows 10? That's my operating system

If you want to do the last option I mentioned (which is extended screen mode), then yes it will work with Windows. It will work with any version of Windows (I had used dual monitors with Windows XP in the past). You will need to go into the monitor settings (see Kilroy's post for how to do that)...should be the same place you set the "extended screen" mode. From there, you should be able to set the external monitor as the primary screen.

#13 lmschune

lmschune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

It worked! Stayed in extend mode and selected the AOC to be the primary monitor, and the picture is clear and perfect. Haven't checked what the laptop screen will look like when I disconnect and go mobile, but one problem solved at least.

Thanks so much for the help!

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

It worked! Stayed in extend mode and selected the AOC to be the primary monitor, and the picture is clear and perfect. Haven't checked what the laptop screen will look like when I disconnect and go mobile, but one problem solved at least.

Thanks so much for the help!

If you are using extended mode, the laptop screen should be normal when you disconnect from the monitor and go mobile assuming you have not adjusted the screen resolution of the built-in screen while in extended mode.

The real question will be whether or not the computer will automatically go back into extended mode when you reconnect the laptop to the monitor. It might. My Mac does, although it does use a different OS so there is no guarantee that you will have the same result. At a minimum, if you have a lot of stuff saved to the desktop (i.e. bunches of icons for apps and/or files), it will likely mess up the arrangement of them because you would be effectively switching from a larger desktop space with the monitor to a small desktop space with the laptop screen. This may not be a problem if you are good about NOT putting a lot of stuff on your desktop (unlike me :grinner:).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users