Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After repair install, no wi fi

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:04 AM

I did a repair install to my old xp computer. Afterwards, I cannot log in as a user and my thumb network receiver driver-software was apparently deleted.

After I boot up I get this message: "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Would you like to activate now?" If I click "yes" the computer goes into never land and nothing ever happens. If I click "No" the computer advances to the log-on icon screen and stops there. I cannot log on to try and get the wi-fi working. And without wi-fi, I cannot get online to activate.

What can I do?  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

Is your copy of Windows legal or pirated?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

If you had the key from the original install then XP will activate once online. I am not sure why you cannot login to your original account. Start Safe Mode and you will have an Administrator Account. Login to it and create a new user.

For the Wifi open Device Manager. You should have a yellow exclamation mark next to your Network Adapter. Right click, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line exactly as shown.

What is the make and model of the Wifi receiver?

#4 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

My copy of windows is legal and before the "repair install", there was no problem with registration. I have the KEY and during installation entered it. I had not realized that a "repair install" would not salvage my internet access. It never even occurred to me. After all it would seem that, among other reasons for having an alternative to doing a clean wipe and install (such as REPAIR INSTALL) not throwing out my access to the world wide web would be something to consider. 

At any rate, I'm trying JohnC's suggestions. It wont let me log on in safe mode as Administrator. When I try, I get a message;

"This copy of windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can continue. You cannot log on until you activate windows. Because activation cannot occur in safe mode, please restart your computer in normal mode to activate windows".

lol sounds like check mate to me.  The USB wireless adapter network LAN (what I called "wi-fi receiver") is a cheapy bought off ebay and there is no brand name given. It's this one:   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150Mbps-Wireless-USB-WiFi-Adapter-Network-Dongle-802-11b-g-n-LAN-Card-w-Antenna-/131982901963?hash=item1ebacb42cb 

I do have the software that came with it, but no way to tell the computer to download it.

To be clear, I do not seem to be able to access Device Manager or do anything else to get online and get activated.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,608 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

That is strange. If you have the key it may be best to do a clean install once you have backed up all your personal data. You can either do this using a live linux disk or by connecting the drive to another computer using a USB adapter or enclosure. 

What I don't understand is how one would be able to active your computer even if you had online access if you cannot login to any account. I would think you would need to be logged in before the activation can take place.

When booting normally you get the same message when trying to login to your regular user account?

I found this which may be useful.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279481-45-activate-windows-login-safe-mode

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 May 2017 - 02:20 PM.

#6 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

I have finally gotten logged in as admin. In device mgr, under network adapters, is Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller, with a red X over it. It is disabled. 

What exactly is this and what does it do? Should i try to enable it? does it have something to do with Realtek USB Wireless LAN Utility? That is apparently the software for the thumb network receiver, which i've tried to install and it stopped.... message saying "Now Installing" for the past 30 minutes.

Hardware IDs

pci/ven_14e4&dev_1677&subsys_01791028&rev_01

pci/ven_14e4&dev_1677&subsys_01791028

pci/ven_14e4&dev_1677&cc_020000

pci/ven_14e4&dev_1677&cc_0200

Hold it. I'm in and not in admin mode. but now I can't get the registration thing to open.

Edited by Old_Feller, 10 May 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,608 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

If I may ask, how were you able to access Administrator.

That Hardware ID is actually for a Ethernet adapter, not Wifi. Do you have any other yellow exclamation marks with the dongle attached?

Can you now install the software that came with the dongle?

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 May 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#8 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:01 PM

holy hell !!

I've done it. I'm in....

Now how to activate?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,608 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

Use Internet or Phone.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/307890/how-to-activate-windows-xp
See the link in my post #9.

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#10 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:10 AM

Sorry about extra posts - was getting error msg

When this all started, every time I booted the computer it went to wall paper only. Then I found that I could boot to safe mode w/ networking, where it appeared I could choose to log as admin or User, but either way I got the message telling me “You cannot log on because this computer is not registered w/ Microsoft” and that was as far as I could go. Then I tried safe mode w/out networking and was able to log in, safe mode. At command prompt I entered rundll32.exe SyssetupOobeBnk and hit Enter. Following directions, I rebooted, back to safe mode/Administrator. Then I went to C:\Windows\System32 and deleted LegitCheckControl.dll and rebooted. This time it started normally and I started trying to load software for the internet dongle. It wasn’t loading so I opened Device Manager and kicked around in that stuff a bit. I had decided to restart and try loading the software again when I noticed a pop-up saying a wireless network was being detected. So I made the connection and here I am. There are no yellow exclaimation marks in Device Mgr.

I just have to figure out how to get the registration thing to open (or try phone).

Edited by Old_Feller, 11 May 2017 - 02:13 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,608 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the update. Try using the command line for activation.

https://techpunch.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/activate-windows-from-the-command-line/

#12 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

"Windows cannot find oobe/msoobe/a ... Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Any other ideas?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,608 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

You need a space between msoobe and /a

oobe/msoobe /a

#14 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:57 PM

plug in directly?  and not WIFI?

#15 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:27 AM

Thanks dna9. I have gotten past that issue (was just trying to get to where the computer could communicate with the web). Now I just can't get the registration program to open so I can put in the key and get activated.

I'll try that JohnC - thanks  ~~ No, the message, "oobe" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". It seem that it is missing. I tried to find it the hard way by exploring Windows\system32\etc but no luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users