Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First build for a CAD workstation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phildo73

phildo73

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

Hi All.  New to this site and I would appreciate some expert advise or opinions.

I would like to build my first PC for Autodesk Inventor home use (hobbyist).  My daughter would also like to try out some animation and drawing software.  I have been doing a lot of reading but unfortunately there is too much information available.

I need to decide on a Zeon, Core I7 or the Ryzen CPU.  I have heard opinions on all of them and still am not in a better place to decide.  I am hoping to get 5 years out of the system.

If you have some ideas or some builds to share it would be greatly appreciated!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

I say Ryzen for its amazing price to performance ratio for such tasks.

Xeon processors while good would not be good as its motherboards can be very pricey.

In fact the cheapest LGA 2011-3 motherboard is around $130 and its open box/refurbished.

The core i7 route may even be worse as if you are building a computer to use as a workstation for video editing the more threads/cores would benefit you thus why a Ryzen build may be your best option.

If using animation software something like a six core will probably be your best bet for the price.

The Ryzen 5 1600 is only $219.99 and for what you are doing thats dirt cheap.

You can even game if you so desire :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

If you're talking CAD you want a XEON and a Quadro video card, neither is cheap.  However, AutoCAD is not as resource hungry as other products like Creo or SolidWorks.  Here are the hardware requirements for Autodesk Invetor 2017.

How much are you looking to spend?

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

How do you think a CAD software would scale on Ryzen though Kilroy?

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 phildo73

phildo73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:46 AM

If you're talking CAD you want a XEON and a Quadro video card, neither is cheap.  However, AutoCAD is not as resource hungry as other products like Creo or SolidWorks.  Here are the hardware requirements for Autodesk Invetor 2017.

How much are you looking to spend?

I was hoping to keep it under $2000 Cdn dollars

That's why I was trying to stay away from Xeon. I am a hobbyist working for my own enjoyment so killer performance would be nice but not essential

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

MadmanRB, unfortunately, I don't know.  I only support engineering software on engineering machines.  The Autodesk products will normally work on a standard laptop.  The more advanced CAD requires the engineering machine specifications.  For instance, AutoCAD will run on built in (on board) graphics, but SolidWorks will not.  If Autodesk Inventor is the only CAD software that will be run a decently spec'd machine should work.  However, I highly recommend looking at the hardware requirements link I provided to get a better idea of the direction to go.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

You could go with a Dell or HP, both of those are lower end CAD machines, but you can upgrade them to the level you want and still be under budget.

Edited by Kilroy, 09 May 2017 - 11:03 AM.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

Indeed some good options there, still could go Xeon without killing the wallet

However this guy has a custom CAD machine with more standard non workstation parts:

The gap between a gaming PC and a CAD PC is quite close too in some software, again autoCAD seems to be the best route that as its great software without it needing a expensive rig

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 May 2017 - 11:16 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users