Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why can't I save to the C: drive?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:53 PM

Hello,

I have Windows 10 and I would like to save files on my C: drive. I won't let me. It tells me I need elevated permissions to save to the C: drive even though I know I do. The only way I can save a file on the C: drive is if I open the program for the file (say Excel for a .xlsx file) as an administrator, open the file, then save it to the C: drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:56 PM

When Administrators Cannot Edit Files

Sometimes you are the admin (and the only user) of your home computer and yet, when you try to open some protected file, it says “access denied”. This is confusing because you are logged in as the super-user and if you don’t have access to all parts of the system, who else will?

The fix is simple though. I will illustrate this with Windows hosts file but you can apply the workaround to virtually all files that you are unable to read / edit in Windows because of permission problems.

Step 1. Open your Windows start menu, search for the notepad application and then right click the notepad icon.

Step 2. Choose “Run as administrator” and then, while inside notepad, browse to folder (/windows/system32/drivers/etc) that contains the hosts file.

You can now edit and save that file in the same folder without any issues.

Edited by Lvlpost, 08 May 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,836 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

By "cannot save to the c: drive" do you mean *anywhere* on C:, e.g., C:\users\{your user name here}\documents, or just at the root level, C:\?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

Sounds like a saving at the root of C: with a standard user account is your issue.  The standard user does not have rights to the root of C:, that is why you are able to do it when you run as an Administrator.

Practicing good data management, you should be storing files in the libraries under your user account.  If multiple people on the same machine need access you can either save to the C:\User\Public directories or a network share.

#5 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

Step 1. Open your Windows start menu, search for the notepad application and then right click the notepad icon.
Step 2. Choose “Run as administrator” and then, while inside notepad, browse to folder (/windows/system32/drivers/etc) that contains the hosts file.
You can now edit and save that file in the same folder without any issues.

Yes, just like my Excel example.

By "cannot save to the c: drive" do you mean *anywhere* on C:, e.g., C:\users\{your user name here}\documents, or just at the root level, C:\?

At the root C: level and some subfolder (not all).

Sounds like a saving at the root of C: with a standard user account is your issue.  The standard user does not have rights to the root of C:, that is why you are able to do it when you run as an Administrator.

No, I'm actually an administrator. The problen is Windows 10 doesn't recognize that when I'm saving files. Don't know why.

Practicing good data management, you should be storing files in the libraries under your user account.  If multiple people on the same machine need access you can either save to the C:\User\Public directories or a network share.

I'd prefer to manage my data my own way.

Edited by gib65, 09 May 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,836 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

gib65,

While I agree that everyone has the right to manage their data their own way, what several of us were trying to discern is whether you were routinely trying to save user data files in the root directory, that is, C:\

There are very good reasons that Windows itself tries to prevent anyone, including someone with admin privilege, from writing to the OS's root folder on whim.

If that's not what you're trying to do (and it sounds like it isn't - and you should expect to have to grant elevated permissions on those occasions when you are) and are still experiencing this problem this suggests a probable corruption of the user profile for the account you're using with admin privilege.  Were I you I would create a new account, whether as a local account or another one that links to the same or a different Microsoft Account, and see if you have the same issues.  If you don't then it's got to be user profile corruption, in which case I'd just delete the account from the other one and elect to save the user data from the account being deleted on your desktop.

Part of the reason that it is generally better to place one's data either under the Documents or other libraries of a user account or the Public folder is so that it's easy to preserve said data if circumstances conspire where you need to delete an account.  Things saved somewhere under the libraries are very easily preserved as opposed to stuff scattered all over the place.  It's not like the hierarchy of one's own choosing cannot be created with anything as its "root directory" that's not the actual Windows 10 (or any OS) root directory.

By the way, even when one has an administrator account, since the advent of Windows 7 and UAC there has always been a need to occasionally explicitly either re-enter one's credentials when doing something that requires admin privileges that are "special/higher security" or to explicitly start a given program/app using "Run as administrator" privilege to prevent that prompting.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

If you create a new user with admin privileges can you save to C:?

#8 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

Nope.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:13 PM

There is a nuclear option of resetting permissions and taking ownership using the command line but I am not sure if you want to go that route. For a large drive with a lot of files the commands will take awhile to complete.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

Topic closed, resolved.

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users