Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to buy a mass storage server

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tivum

Tivum

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

If you know anyone or you have a mass storage server could you please shoot me a pm, my budget is flexible, looking for these specs.

• 10TB+
  • Not very large (Small enough to fit in a 30inx15in server rack)
  • In fair condition

Thanks,

Tivum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:25 AM

Are you looking for actual rack mounted?

Can you give an upper and lower limit to what you're willing to spend?

Do you need any RAID type protection?

I'm running a pair of Drobo 5N myself.  I have one loaded with 8TB drives and another with three 4TB and two 8TB drives.  Both are configured to allow for the loss of one drive.  The 5N is a model that was recently replaced with a dual GB network connection model.  These are great if you're like me and have a bunch of spare drives floating around.

Edited by Kilroy, 09 May 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#3 Tivum

Tivum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

Are you looking for actual rack mounted?

Can you give an upper and lower limit to what you're willing to spend?

Do you need any RAID type protection?

I'm running a pair of Drobo 5N myself.  I have one loaded with 8TB drives and another with three 4TB and two 8TB drives.  Both are configured to allow for the loss of one drive.  The 5N is a model that was recently replaced with a dual GB network connection model.  These are great if you're like me and have a bunch of spare drives floating around.

No RAID and i'm willing to spend no more than 1,200. But then again, I don't some cheap p.o.s.

Do you have any spare drives I could buy? I'd like you to pm me with a picture and specs if possible.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

You could get the Drobo and a few WD 4TB Red or 8TB Seagate IronWolf drives, turn off the data redundancy of the Drobo to get you the space you want.  $400 for the Drobo and $642 or $792 for three drives would give you 12TB or 24TB (or 16TB with data protection) of storage and two slots of expansion.

The 8TB drives I'm using are Seagate Archive drives taken out of Seagate Backup Plus units that I've picked up on sale for $170 to $200.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users