Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

~ USB WiFi Adapters ~

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KZ91820

KZ91820

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Hey peeps!

Do those little USB adapters actually work well? I upgraded by Router and it supports 5GHz but my PC NIC is only 2.4GHz. So, I wondered if the cheap route, for under $20 for one of many USB adapters would be a good solution.

If anyone could recommend anything I'd appreciate it!

Here's one I'm eyeing up:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GC8XH0S/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1FEILGYVC3SL3&colid=1X7CU173H5HH3

This seems too easy though. Hmmmm....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tivum

Tivum

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

I use the little adapter that came with the Xbox 360, it works great, better than the stock one in my tower. Looks goofy, works great though.

Pretty sure you can find those for a couple dollars on ebay, i'd give you mine since it's rarely used anymore :lmao:

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

They work suprisingly flawlessly. However, the range is usually not so great, but as long as you are no farther than 5-10 metres from your Wi-Fi router and the signal passes through no more than 1-2 walls, you're perfectly good to go.:)

P.S.Nice photo avatar!:lmao:

Edited by Just_One_Question, 08 May 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#4 KZ91820

KZ91820
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

That's one concern I have, the range. My office is on a 2nd floor and the Router on one floor below, about 75 feet away on a diagonal plane roughly. The signal would have to travel through one floor and several walls. My current WiFi internal NIC seems to pick up the signal but I'm only clocking around 20mbs download speeds, if that. I have a 100mbs ISP. CAT5 to my Router clocks around 90mbs. I honestly don't care for WiFi but not gonna run a cable through walls and ceilings so I deal with it.

#5 Tivum

Tivum

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:19 PM

That's one concern I have, the range. My office is on a 2nd floor and the Router on one floor below, about 75 feet away on a diagonal plane roughly. The signal would have to travel through one floor and several walls. My current WiFi internal NIC seems to pick up the signal but I'm only clocking around 20mbs download speeds, if that. I have a 100mbs ISP. CAT5 to my Router clocks around 90mbs. I honestly don't care for WiFi but not gonna run a cable through walls and ceilings so I deal with it.

It should have no problem with that unless you're in a bunker, if they're just normal drywall walls then it should be fine with that type of adapter.

#6 KZ91820

KZ91820
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

Has anyone noticed increased WiFi speeds going from 2.4GHz to 5GHz? I read that 5GHz doesn't have the signal range that 2.4GHz does. So I'm wondering if it really would make that much of a difference.

I guess I could take my laptop home from work which does have a built-in WiFi NIC that supports 5GHz and test that theory! Good thinking! Thanks! :P

Yes, I talk to myself sometimes....carry on...

#7 Tivum

Tivum

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

Has anyone noticed increased WiFi speeds going from 2.4GHz to 5GHz? I read that 5GHz doesn't have the signal range that 2.4GHz does. So I'm wondering if it really would make that much of a difference.

I guess I could take my laptop home from work which does have a built-in WiFi NIC that supports 5GHz and test that theory! Good thinking! Thanks! :P

Yes, I talk to myself sometimes....carry on...

:lmao:

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

What WiFi standard does your internal NIC support? If it is only 802.11g, then that could be why you are only getting about 20 Mbps downloads as even though 802.11g supports up to 45 Mbps theoretical throughput, it practically on gets about 20 Mbps at best. If this is the case, then just going to a USB adapter that supports a 802.11n or 802.11ac (depending on what your router supports...you gave no info on your router) might help even discounting range issues.

If it supports at least 802.11n, then it is likely a range issue that is limiting your throughput to 20 Mbps or so.

#9 KZ91820

KZ91820
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

Yep, I discovered it's only 802.11g

The new Router helped, but one day I may opt for an adapter.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

Yep, I discovered it's only 802.11g

The new Router helped, but one day I may opt for an adapter.

Then that is what is limiting your download speeds on that laptop. As I mentioned before, 20 Mbps is about the practical limit of 802.11g. If you want faster download speeds on that laptop, then you will need a new WiFi adapter that supports at least 802.11n if not 802.11ac (again, it will also depend on what your router supports as well).

Whether you need faster downloads is another question. If you only use the laptop to do typical web browsing, checking emails, and maybe an occasional file download, then you likely will not notice much from improving your download speeds. The amount that you download when doing typical browsing or email is very small, so you generally don't notice much of a difference between 20 Mbps and 100 Mbps. Even with video streaming, you will not likely notice a difference on the laptop. You can stream well to one device with just something like 5 Mbps. You tend to want/need increase your overall Internet throughput (aka "speed") for video streaming if you have multiple devices that will be streaming at the same time. The main area were you would notice a faster download speed on your laptop while using the Internet would potentially be when downloading large files, but even then the bottleneck that slowing things down may not be your download speed on the laptop, but rather the download speed you achieve from the specific web server you are connected to. The only definite area of benefit for a faster WiFi connection speed would be if you transfer files from the laptop to other computers or devices (say NAS devices) on your local network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users