Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot ping secondary router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rustyfrog666

rustyfrog666

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

I have a router provided by my ISP which I have connected to a Tomato router and I can ping both these routers from a laptop connected via wifi to the Tomato router.

The Tomato router has a Powerline Adaptor going to an apartment downstairs.  In the apartment I have added another router, but I can't ping this router.  

They are all on their own IP range:

192.168.0.1 - Tomato Router (Can ping)

192.168.1.1 - ISP Router (Can ping) 

192.168.2.1 - Apartment Router (Cannot Ping)

On the apartment router it recognises the WAN as being the Tomato Router (192.168.0.1).  However on the Tomato Router I cannot "see" the Apartment router. 

I'd like to be able to see the apartment router as I need to be able to limit the bandwidth of that router using the Tomato Router. E.g. set a limit from the Tomato router for IP range 192.168.2.1-199

Any ideas why I can't see the Apartment router, or suggestions of things to try would be much appreciated.  I'm not a networking expert!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

do a direct connect between the router?  Do you see it then?  If so then I would suspect its the power line adapters.

Powerline adapters work on the same breaker box not between different breaker boxes.  Usually apts have their own power/breaker box

#3 rustyfrog666

rustyfrog666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

do a direct connect between the router?  Do you see it then?  If so then I would suspect its the power line adapters.

Powerline adapters work on the same breaker box not between different breaker boxes.  Usually apts have their own power/breaker box

So I moved the Apartment Router and connected it directly to the Tomato Router (i.e. same connection, just without the PowerLine adapters).  But I still have the same problem that I cannot ping the Apartment Router when I'm connected to the Tomato Router.  

The strange thing is I can ping the Tomato Router (and the ISP router) when I'm connected to the Apartment Router, so it seems to be a one way thing.  So something with the router setup maybe?

Many thanks for the suggestion.   Do you have any other ideas?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

Make sure ping is enabled in the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users