Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver updates

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rodmc1947

rodmc1947

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:19 PM

Can't seem to update system. Tried to go to win 10 as well unsuccessfully

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

Please explain your question and problem in detail so we can understand the issue and try to help.

#3 rodmc1947

rodmc1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

just bought a refurbished Toshiba laptop with win 7 home.  Trying to get all the updates to the system and upgrade to win 10.  some devices in device manager show not installed properly (drivers missing).  Won't update service pack 1, nor win 10.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

Do a factory-restore-to-defaults.  A refurb system should come with either a restore disk or a built-in restore capability.

If the system came with Win 7 installed, then there should be no driver updates to be installed.

Since it's an OEM system...you cannot assume that there is any support for Win 10 that relates to the laptop.

I don't understand the part about trying to update anything...if the intent is to install Win 10.

Louis

#5 rodmc1947

rodmc1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

Yes its a used (2011/2016) laptop.  the system is 2011.  I can,t seem to get it bring the system up to date.  I got a microsoft free win 10 upgrade but it won< complete.  Device manager is showing a number of devices as "drivers not installed"  I don't have installation disks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:33 PM

If you have no personal data on the computer press zero at boot. The Toshiba recovery utility should run and allow you to do a factory reset. After the factory reset you will need to manually download some updates before Windows update will give you additional updates. Updates on a clean install of Windows 7, especially pre-SP1 is problematic.

http://support.toshiba.com/sscontent?docId=98082971

#7 Joshatdot

Joshatdot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:48 AM

If you need the drivers, I recommend Snappy Driver Installer

Snappy Driver Installer Origin is an application for installing and updating device drivers on PCs running Microsoft Windows.

If you've lost your driver discs, you're unable to find drivers on the manufacturer's web site or Windows Update can't configure your hardware, use this tool to quickly find and install all missing drivers.

If you're a PC technician, keep Snappy Driver Installer on your USB flash drive or external hard drive and take it with you wherever you go. In environments with no Internet access you can quickly get things working. No more searching for drivers after a clean install, just let Snappy Driver Installer do it's thing and your job will be done in no time.

Snappy Driver Installer Origin is a free and open source program with no 'extras' and we will continue to develop the program in that tradition.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:33 AM

NEVER use 3rd party driver utilities.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

I try to avoid third driver update sights at all costs but if a computer is not common like the poster with a haier the only reputable site I would recommend is DriverPack and is free of charge.

I want to emphasize this should only be done as a last resort.

The first place for drivers would be your computer manufacturers support site. If not available look for drivers from the manufacture of the device or hardware using the Vendor and Device ID found in Device Manager. 

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

Drivers for laptops should always and only be obtained from the website of the laptop manufacturer.

Edited by Allan, 14 May 2017 - 03:16 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

The ONLY place to obtain drivers for a laptop are from the website of the laptop manufacturer.

But what if they are not available?  I could find nothing on Haier's support site regarding drivers.  Sometimes it's necessary to go to the chipset manufactures site. I don't know how many times I came across wonky drivers on dell's site and I had to go to realtek to get a good Ethernet driver. 

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:17 AM

If drivers are not available on the website of the laptop manufacturer, contact that manufacturer.

#13 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

NEVER use 3rd party driver utilities.

Back it up with facts please.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

Worth A Look

Louis

#15 BeigeBochs

BeigeBochs

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

A refurb laptop with several device drivers missing?  I've had that happen before, and I've purchased several refurbished laptops for clients in the past.

Operating systems on refurbished computers are installed in different ways, depending on the refurbisher, and I never had one that came with recovery discs.  Very few of them provide a means of recovering the operating system back to the way it was when you first bought the unit, such as a bootable recovery partition.  And even if there is one, it won't be one created by the original manufacturer.

The system which you're dealing with, rodmc, sounds like one I had to deal with recently.  I got a refurb Dell Latitude laptop where the installed Windows 7 on the system fresh out of the box was very half-hearted.  The operating system was installed and a bunch of drivers downloaded to the laptop's hard disk, but most of the drivers weren't installed and had to be done manually.  Even the video drivers weren't installed, yet!  And of course, no recovery partition, Dell or otherwise.

Most likely, this refurb Toshiba laptop doesn't have a recovery partition, so the only safe way to get drivers is to download them from Toshiba.  If the laptop was indeed manufactured in 2011, Toshiba should still have drivers for the original operating system available for download.  Below is a link to an example of a Toshiba support page for a laptop (not yours!).  If you replace the text in the search box with the exact model information of the laptop and click Go, it should show you drivers available for download:

http://support.toshiba.com/support/driversResults?freeText=1200008920&osId=31

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users