Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New devices won't connect to new internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 librarysue

librarysue

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

I recently switched from ATT Uverse (one modem/router unit) to Spectrum (modem provided, bYO router)

My daughter and I had no trouble connecting our laptops and phones to the wifi with Spectrum's network name and password that came with the modem. 

Then I bought a new Android tablet and connected it to the wifi in the same manner It worked for a day or two...just long enough to sync with my phone and load contacts and apps, etc. Then it started saying "Authentication Error"

Nothing I do now will get it to connect.

Also got a new phone. Also an Android. Same thing. Will not connect. They are both android devices. Both were able to connect with the wifi at the public library.

I've tried to follow various trouble shooting ideas. Some of them direct me to connect with the ROUTER, not with Spectrum's network name and password that came with the modem. But that doesn't work either.

What am I doing wrong? I'm sooooooo frustrated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

So, that means the devices and your ISP aren't at fault. The only possible culprit is your modem. If you know how to, reset it and reconnect all your devices. If you don't know how to, find a toothpick or a needle and call your ISP to ask them how to do it and how to set it up afterwards.:)

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

Your password might have gotten corrupted. Have your device forget your WiFi connection. Then reconnect it again and reenter your password again.

That should clear your authentication issue. If not you have a more in depth issue that will take some isolation troubleshooting. But since the problem seems to be with only one remembered network. Forgetting it and re-logging in should fix it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Your password might have gotten corrupted. Have your device forget your WiFi connection. Then reconnect it again and reenter your password again.That should clear your authentication issue. If not you have a more in depth issue that will take some isolation troubleshooting. But since the problem seems to be with only one remembered network. Forgetting it and re-logging in should fix it.

I don't even know why you/we bother trying to answer these questions, given that the dude hasn't been online ever since he posed his problem. Let's hope, at least, that somebody else further down the line will google the same issue and find this info helpful.:)

#5 librarysue

librarysue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

LOL, well, I was having trouble connecting to the internet so of course it took me a while to get back!

Your suggestions were helpful.  As usual, it was a teen who solved my problem.  'Mom, remember last week when you told me you'd changed your all purpose password for the year?  You did it when you got the new modem.'  (I try to change it annually)  :clapping: Don't know what I'd do without her.

Thank you!

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:52 PM

Haha, sorry I had lost hope in you, lol. Happy to hear everything is alright now!:)

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

LOL, well, I was having trouble connecting to the internet so of course it took me a while to get back!

Your suggestions were helpful.  As usual, it was a teen who solved my problem.  'Mom, remember last week when you told me you'd changed your all purpose password for the year?  You did it when you got the new modem.'  (I try to change it annually)  :clapping: Don't know what I'd do without her.

Thank you!

You know, it's really refreshing [seriously, and encouraging in it's own way] to see someone admit that trying to do "something so right" can lead to "something so wrong" when it escapes your notice that you've done the former due to life distractions.

We've all been there, done that.  It takes guts to admit it, and it makes everyone feel a bit better to know that they're not alone in this sort of mishap.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users