Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question Regarding Windows DVD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

My current OS is Win 7 Home Premium 7x64 Sp-1

I bought this desktop with the above OS several years ago. Last year I was experiencing a problem and took it to the repair shop. When I got it back and booted Win 7 Pro was installed (I still have the DVD). I called the shop and told them of their error and was told that I could keep the Win 7 Pro or return it to them and have my original OS re-installed. Well, I opted to keep Win 7 Pro.

Then after that the hard drive went bad and had to be replaced so again I took it to the same repair shop. When I got it back home and booted Windows 7 Home Premium was installed. I called the shop owner and he verified they installed the OS it came with using the COA.

The question is do I have a legitimate Win 7 Pro DVD and could I legally install it on my current desktop?

Thanks

Edited by sikntired, 07 May 2017 - 03:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:02 AM

The question is do I have a legitimate Win 7 Pro DVD and could I legally install it on my current desktop?

That's a question probably best answered by the repair shop you took it to. Let's say, for now, it is/was a legit copy of Win 7 Pro they installed. Do you have the key for it?

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

That's a question probably best answered by the repair shop you took it to. Let's say, for now, it is/was a legit copy of Win 7 Pro they installed. Do you have the key for it?

No, unfortunately I do not. The repair shop gave me the DVD when I picked up the computer. I do have a product ID# that was on the "computer properties" page.

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

A product ID#  can not be used to activate the OS. If someone knows how, please enlighten me.

Generally speaking though, Windows 7 Home Premium Edition has everything that most end users would need for normal day-to-day usage of their PC.

Do you believe you need/require the additional features of the pro version?

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/386085/windows_7_home_premium_vs_windows_7_professional/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

A product ID#  can not be used to activate the OS. If someone knows how, please enlighten me.

Generally speaking though, Windows 7 Home Premium Edition has everything that most end users would need for normal day-to-day usage of their PC.

Do you believe you need/require the additional features of the pro version?

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/386085/windows_7_home_premium_vs_windows_7_professional/

Well, I suspected that the product ID# would be of no significance. I thought it was normal procedure to give me the DVD they used to install the OS never realizing that it was the Win 7 Pro. There was no Key written on the sleeve containing said DVD.

In answer to your query: I'm pretty much content with home premium although there are some things I really liked about the pro version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users