Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP to Linux

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

Since I'm having some pretty good luck on my old vista, I though I would take a crack at the old XP. I tired the Tahrpup 32Bit from CD and it seems to run just as well on my other system. But I wanted to see what might be recommended.

Soooo;

Windows XP

Intel Pentium M processor 1.60 GHz

798MHz, 2GB of Ram

About 28GB hard Drive.

This computer will use Google Chrome and hopefully needs to be set up for streaming movies (aka netflix, vudu, youtube, ect..)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

Out of all the fully-supported Linux distros, Puppy Linux will probably run & do the job best on this computer.:)

P.S. BTW, I think Google are dropping support for the 32-bit version of the Chrome browser, so this is something you might want to consider as well. Mozilla Firefox is still fully supported, though.:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 07 May 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

This one may actually run a full distro if you want to take a shot at that, unless you are wanting to stick with puppy's.  Since it is freee and not a large download I would try out Lubuntu 32bit.  This is also a very weak processor, so you may have better luck with Puppy, allthough this may run well enough and give you the chance to experience Lubuntu.  I would give this one a try, if it don't work you could try AntiX or another puppy!  Lubuntu will be a little easier IMO to install and run OOTB. 

This is the Direct Link so be prepared to download when you click on it.  After Instaled you will need to activate the firewall and do all the Updates like any OS.

Edited by pcpunk, 07 May 2017 - 10:17 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

Sorry guys, having issues with double posting.

Edited by pcpunk, 07 May 2017 - 10:18 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

I am also having some strange issues. For instance when writing a post and a notice opens saying somebody has replied I click the show reply link and get nothing. I have to refresh the page and make sure I have saved by post as it will be gone on a refresh. Also when pressing the post button the green bar seems like it's taking forever to post. I then refresh and my post is there.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

I am also having some strange issues. For instance when writing a post and a notice opens saying somebody has replied I click the show reply link and get nothing. I have to refresh the page and make sure I have saved by post as it will be gone on a refresh. Also when pressing the post button the green bar seems like it's taking forever to post. I then refresh and my post is there.
That only happens to me when I am writing a comment and whilst I was writing this comment someone else commented in the topic. I just refresh the page and see the new comment and under it my comment. Basically, the system has a problem posting your comment and updating the topic simultaneously when you click on 'Post'.
Atleast, these are my observations so far.:)

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

At least it's not just me!  I noticed it when going to another browser tab right after entering some text, trying to multi task too much for this problem I guess.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

P.S. BTW, I think Google are dropping support for the 32-bit version of the Chrome browser, so this is something you might want to consider as well. Mozilla Firefox is still fully supported, though. :)

Give this browser a look at it still supports 32 bit and is Chrome based.

https://vivaldi.com/

Although it comes up for Linux I believe it may have a Windows download also.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

Hi

If you guys are having issues with the double post thing, can you please start a new post here
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/3/bleepingcomputer-announcements-comments-suggestions/

And Grinler will look at it.

I think that PC will run Mint XFCE without too much drama.

Regards

Nick.

Edited by NickAu, 07 May 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#10 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:11 PM

I was looking at Mint and I see they have several different desktop versions what is the difference between them?

HAHA never mind I answered my own question

Edited by SolusUmbra, 07 May 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:58 AM

SolusUmbra, the two most notable differences between Linux MInt MATE & Xfce are first, the Xfce version is a lightweight distro with less software installed. Whereas with Linux Mint MATE, you get a complete distro loaded with software & the ISO is just barely larger, and the OS hardly uses any more resources. :)

On the other hand, both Cinnamon & KDE uses more resources & looks much better on a newer computer with modern graphics. The newer, the better for those two.

You can always try both by booting from a Live DVD, or by creating a bootable USB stick, a 4GB one will do (I use a 2GB SD card attached to a USB card reader) for testing & install media in one. Once it's fired up explore the software & see how everything runs. One of the greatest things about LInux Mint is that they support non-PAE hardware (similar to your posted specs) with ease.

Simply take both for a test drive & determine which meets your need. :)

Good Luck with Linux Mint, if you go that route, you'll love it compared to XP in time! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users