Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Freezes with non-intensive usage.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stefaninoi

stefaninoi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

Hi everyone! I recently started having an issue where my laptop randomly just freezes completely. It usually happens when I am just browsing on Chrome (non-intense browsing, couple of tabs and usually no other programs open). It starts off with the browser freezing where I can’t X out of anything or click any links/toolbars. I also can’t open task manager and CTRL+ALT+DEL does not work. I can usually alt tab to other programs but not be able to do anything on those either and eventually it always freezes completely where the mouse won’t even move. At that point the only fix is to hard reset with the power button.

I’ve tried several recommendations I found online like disabling Superfetch and Windows search, running antimalware programs, checking my hard disk (two programs said it was fine), disabling unnecessary programs in boot-up, and a couple of other things. Since freezing is a common problem though I’m having trouble identifying a cause and thus can’t look for a targeted solution. I was hoping someone here could help.

The laptop is an ASUS N53SV. Running Windows 7 64-bit 6GB RAM. About 200GB of free space on the hard disk. CPU: Intel ® core ™ I7-2670QM Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 540M

The issue started around the same time that for some reason a Nvidia driver or something was installed. It installed the Nvidia control panel & Geforce Experience which runs automatically unless I manually exit. Not sure if that might be related. Another thing I noticed is that hard disk usage is often 100% or very high even though I’m using no programs.

I’d really appreciate any insight!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

Hey. I am 80% sure you need to just open up your laptop and thoroughly clean it as it is simply overheating. I am 10% sure it is related to the driver and 10% sure that the problem is something entirely different.
Clean your laptop. If you can't do it yourself, just bring it to a computer repair shop. It usually costs ~$10 and you should have your computer back the same/the following day.

Worst case scenario, your HDD is failing and you will need a new one and reinstalling your Windows OS.

P.S. I suggest you back up all your important information right now just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 07 May 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Purely for information - you had a duplicate of this topic in the Windows 7 section. Duplicate topics are not allowedon BC because they lead to confusion so I have deleted the other.

Chris  Cosgrove

#4 stefaninoi

stefaninoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Apologies Chris! New here so wasn't sure which forum was more adequate for this question.

Just_One thanks for the advice! I'll pop my laptop open and see if I can clean the fans out. In the meantime I downloaded speedfan to check the temperatures. core 1-4 are indicated to be around 60 degrees Celsius with one Chrome window open with 5 tabs and one word document. So overall it doesn't seem too bad. What do you think?

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

Not sure. Different computers work at different temperatures, but I think that's somewhat high. As I said, though, I'm pretty sure it's just overheating, so clean it up good and if the problem persists, we'll check out other solutions.:)

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

I have an idea... let's attempt to force a manually initiated crash. To do so:

With PS/2 keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

With USB keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

When the system hangs, hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice, forcing the system to BSOD. Then upload MEMORY.DMP for us:

:step1: Upload MEMORY.DMP

• Press and hold the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
• In the Run box, type in %WinDir% and hit Enter on your keyboard.
• Find the file MEMORY.DMP and copy/paste it on to your Desktop.
• Zip up MEMORY.DMP (use .ZIP please!!!) and upload it to a trustworthy file-sharing service.

Regards,
bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users