Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Moving "Data" Folders off System Drive to Data Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:00 AM

I have a bunch of videos in the "My Videos" folder, and a bunch of documents in the "My Documents" folder and and bunch of other data in the other "My xxxxxxx" folders.  I'd like to move all of these data folders to my 2 Tbyte Data drive and try to limit the data on the C: drive to system files only, to the greatest extent possible.  One reason is to speed up AV and defrag times.

Is there any reason to NOT do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:08 AM

Data files (not system files) can be moved to any location with sufficient space.  There is no reason they have to be placed or remain in any folders established by Windows

That's the simple approach which I take.

OTOH...if you insist on moving the Windows My Docs folder itself...see .http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-move-windows-7-personal-folders-my-documents-another-drive.htm .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users