Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second router on home network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 barwarner

barwarner

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

I recently installed a Netgear wireless router on my home network.  It is the the second router on my network as my AT&T internet modem is also a router.  The only change I made on the second (Netgear) router is that I disabled DHCP, leaving my first router as the DHCP server.  I intended to leave the Netgears' IP address as the default of 192.168.1.1, but I can't access it through a browser with that IP address. All the devices on the network are working fine connected to the Netgear router, but I can no longer make configuration changes to the router since I don't know it's IP address.  

Any suggestions as to what happened and what I heed to do to access my router?

Barry 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

set back to factory and then follow this article for the proper setup

http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001-connecting-additional-routers/

#3 barwarner

barwarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

I set it back to factory settings and I can now access it using the default IP address of 192.168.1.1, but I haven't disabled DHCP on the second router yet.  If I do disable DHCP on the second router, I am sure I will lose access to the router again. Everything seems to be working fine, so is there any harm in leaving DHCP enabled on both routers?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

if you followed the article you would see you would not disable dhcp on the AT&T router but on the netgear router.

You do not lose access if you disable dhcp.  It just means you have to give your pc a static ip if you want to access it alone.

but since you will assign the router a static ip in the AT&T routers subnet [you don't mention what that subnet is] you will be able to easily access/admin it when connected to the network.

#5 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,064 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

If you want to have DHCP disabled, connect to the router that has DHCP disabled and open CMD. Type ipconfig /all and look for the Default Gateway. Type that IP address into a browser to get to the config page.

If this doesn't work, try reading the manual for a special address to the config page.

Edited by iMacg3, 09 May 2017 - 10:19 AM.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#6 barwarner

barwarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

I reset the Netgear router and left DHCP enabled  The IP address of this router was changed to 10.0.0.1 and I found that IP address by going to the Control Panel/Network and Internet/View network status/Change Adapter Settings/LAC/Details.  All is working fine now and i can access my second router - thanks for all the replies.

#7 michaelkyle

michaelkyle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

I am glad to know that your problem solved, I also have this type of problem before one month and at that time enter-sys.com helped me a lot. If you have any query, feel free to ask.

Edited by michaelkyle, 09 May 2017 - 02:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users