Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which anti-malware program?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Oxonsi

Oxonsi

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

I have been using Zemana AntiMalware (premium) to complement ESET NOD32 antivirus.  This configuration has been working well for me; I haven't had a problem with it.  My only complaint with Zemana AntiMalware is that it generates a few more false-positives than I'd like [but I much prefer false-positives to false-negatives!].

Nonetheless, I am considering just using Zemana as a 2nd opinion scanner, and replacing it with a different real-time anti-malware.  I'm thinking about using Emsisoft   Anti-Malware.  What would be the pros and cons of this?  And is there some other anti-malware I should also consider?

My understanding is that Zemana is lighter on computer resources than Emsisoft would be.  [How much of a difference is there between them?]  However, I believe Zemana is relatively useless without internet connectivity, whereas Emsisoft would still protect based on signatures previously downloaded, and it also has other protection components that wouldn't be compromised by an internet outage.

I think both Zemana and Emsisoft are very good products.  Which one would you choose for complementary real-time protection and why?  Or what other anti-malware program would be even better than either of these?

Obviously, I'd like the best protection, but I do care about overall system performance and reliability.  So the "weight" as well as overall compatibility are worth considering.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions!

Edited by Oxonsi, 06 May 2017 - 05:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

To be clear, the reasons I'm considering replacing Zemana with Emsisoft are:

1)  I'm under the impression Emsisoft may provide better real-time protection than Zemana; Zemana is still great as a 2nd opinion scanner,

2)  Emsisoft may generate less false-positives than Zemana,

3)  Emsisoft would still offer significant protection during a loss of internet connectivity, whereas Zemana doesn't.

Those are just my understanding and guesses.

The negative is that I believe switching from Zemana to Emsisoft would make my machine a bit more sluggish.  Not sure how much.  And based on all that, I need to decide if I think the switch would be a net benefit.

Thanks again for any feedback or other suggestions.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

Despite it's name, Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection. Emsisoft uses two scanning engines, combining its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus and three security levels (or layers) of protection to prevent the installation of malware and stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. These layers consist of surf protection, a dual-engine file guard, and advanced behavior blocking analysis which is extremely difficult to penetrate.

Emsisoft’s Behavior Blocker continually monitors the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity and raises an alert as soon as something suspicious occurs. This advanced behavior blocking technology is able to detect unknown zero-day attacks, file-less malware that resides only in memory, zombies (the hijacking of host processes to load malicious code which execute via script parser programs), and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks.

Emsisoft also has the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

eam_pup_728x574_en.png

Emsisoft utilizes live cloud-verification for superior detection and removal of malware infections effectively. Despite it's name, Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antii-virus program. Emsisoft includes a malware removal guarantee and personal assistance in emergency situations. The free version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware does not include real-time protection in its freeware mode...it is a on-demand cleaner only.

Further, Emsisoft does not conflict with other security programs I use on my computers and leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for more detailed information as to why I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Emsisoft Internet Security combines the best of both worlds...it is a complete security suite which combines Emsisoft Anti-Malware with an efficient powerful firewall created using the same core previously found in Emsisoft Online Armor. The rest of the software code is hand·made by the Emsisoft team.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

+1 for Emsisoft!  It can be somewhat "in your face" assertive if set that way, however, that can be a good thing!  I've used Emsisoft for some time now, and it does the job 24/7 very well.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the replies!  Emsisoft it is then :bounce:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#7 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:41 PM

The free version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware does not include real-time protection in its freeware mode...it is a on-demand cleaner only.

I believe on 14 February 2017 you said:

Emsisoft products were originally designed to complement antivirus and firewall software. Today this is no longer the case, with Emsisoft now providing a full replacement for any antivirus and/or firewall software. As such, some of Emsisoft's protection modules are not compatible with other antivirus software

My question is this: If some of Emsisoft's protection modules are not compatible with other antivirus software, then how can it be used for on-demand scans.  Perhaps you need to disable your anti-virus during Emsisoft's scan, is this correct?

Edited by razz3333, 12 May 2017 - 11:41 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

Emsisoft products were originally designed to complement antivirus and firewall software. Today this is no longer the case, with Emsisoft now providing a full replacement for any antivirus and/or firewall software. As such, some of Emsisoft's protection modules are not compatible with other antivirus software.

That is a quote from....Are Emsisoft products fully compatible with other security products? (17 February 2016)

Just like with Malwarebytes, protection modules are part of real-time protection designed to block malware BEFORE you are infection. The protection feature is separate from the scanning engine which is designed to detection and remove malware AFTER. After the trial period expires and it's free mode kicks in, real-time protection is disabled but the product's scanning engine is not...allowing it to be used as ad on-demand scanner.

#9 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

What you had posted was well explained (as always) and I somehow missed the point that real time protection was no longer activated (due to the trial period being over) and thus, naturally, on-demand scans can certainly be performed with no issue with your anti-virus real-time protection.

I must not have had my thinking cap on when reading your post last night.   :)

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

Not a problem.