Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

just a quick McAfee question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 angieInVA

angieInVA

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

I'm using Avast free antivirus currently and work got us McAfee antivirus plus on a flashdrive for our home computer's,  is anyone using this and like it compared to what I'm currently using?

please share your thoughts with me

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

Used McAfee Livesafe.Avast Free is about the best there is.My sister has Avast and it seems to not bog down the system.I know some people do not like Avast because of the bloatware,but its still a great AV.

#3 angieInVA

angieInVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

thank you badload and everyone else who looked at my question.   with no real consensus I guess I will pass on McAfee for now

#4 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

Your welcome.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

Although McAfee (now owned by Intel Security) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core install kernel mode drivers and resource heavy processes that load at boot-up. Installation also results in the creation of numerous files, folders, and registry entries in various locations making it more difficult to remove. Further, there have been numerous complaints about lack of sufficient support from the vendor.

Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for an alternative anti-virus. IMO, McAfee is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers. With that said, there are a lot of folks who prefer using this anti-virus solution (especially if it came preinstalled) and there is nothing wrong with staying with a product you are satisfied with and do not mind paying for.

In your case, McAfee was provided free so there is no loss but choosing an alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users