Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apparent attack on Google Chrome; after Malwarebytes, no browsers and no Office

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 twstorer

twstorer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

i write this from another computer than the one affected. My son's Windows 10 laptop was having trouble. Google Chrome no longer worked: a message said there was no Internet connection. However, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge did connect to the Internet.

I uninstalled Chrome and, using Internet Explorer, downloaded a new Chrome installer. When I ran that file, it stuck endlessly at the very beginning, "waiting to download" or words to that effect. When it became clear that it was not going to advance, I rebooted and tried again. Same thing happened.

I went to the Bleeping Computer site, which I remembered from previous crises. 

I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran a scan. The first time, it ended up crashing and displaying the blue screen of death. I rebooted and tried Malwarebytes again. This time it went through to the end. Loads of malware threats were identified (50, I believe). I quarantined them as the program instructed and rebooted.

After rebooting, it occurred to us that maybe the Chrome installer file had been somehow disabled by the malware or virus. So I deleted that file and tried to run Internet Explorer to download the Chrome installer again. This time neither IE nor Microsoft Edge worked. In fact, Microsoft Office had been uninstalled!

i went into the trash folder and restored the Chrome installer file which we had deleted, on the off chance. Once installed, it gave the same message as before: no Internet connection, although the system reports that the Internet connection is working.

This leaves us in the situation where the computer has no working browser, hence no way to access sites like this one. So I can't even use online tools to troubleshoot from the computer itself. That's why I'm logging in from another computer to present the problem here. 

I attach the Malwarebytes log from the scan we ran.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks for your attention!

Moved from Windows 10

NickAu

Attached Files

Edited by NickAu, 07 May 2017 - 12:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:40 AM

My recommendation is a completely new and clean Windows installation. It is the fastest, what You can do. Then you are free from any malware and also you have a totally clean Windows.
But this is what I would do to, you must to decide for yourself what is best for You.

Edited by zainmax, 06 May 2017 - 11:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users