Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive not being recognized in Gateway desktop

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jerry8989

jerry8989

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

Hello,

My uncle spoke with gateway tech support because he was having an issue logging into his computer.  Well they ended up having him format and reload his computer without telling him to back up anything. 

So he asked me if I could find the deleted pictures and documents.  So I took his hard drive out of his Gateway DX4885-UR2F computer.  The hard drive is a WD 1 TB SATA drive. 

I took it home and put it into my computer as a secondary drive.  I just plugged the sata and power cables in and started my computer up.   My pc saw it as the E drive and I was able to run Recuva to try and recover some of his data.  I was able to get some stuff that was deleted.  I copied those files to his hard drive and took his drive out of my computer. 

Now when I went to install it into his computer it loaded to the windows 8.1 login screen and he logged in and it went to a blank screen from there.   Now everytime I try and start it up it goes to a blank screen.  In the bios for the hard drive it says "Boot Manager".  I tried using Diskpart to make it the active disk, volume and partition but when I do active it says that the partition isn't MBR.  When I try and convert it, it wants to erase everything.

I guessing since I put it in my computer it became a secondary drive and now it isn't being considered as a primary drive in the original computer.         I haven't messed with SATA drives this way so I'm not 100% sure.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. 

PC Specs:

• Intel Core i5-4440 Processor 3.1GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1
  • 4GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • Intel HD
  • 16X DVDR/RW SuperMulti Drive
  • Digital Media Card Reader
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • 802.11b/g/n Wireless
  • Bluetooth 4.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,041 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

The disk is probably GPT and not MBR because the firmware is UEFI and not legacy BIOS. There is no active partition on a GPT disk. If your UEFI does not show a hard drive then I would have to hazard a guess it may be a connection between the drive and motherboard and or PSU. Make sure all connections are tight, both power and data. Also see if changing to a different SATA port on the motherboard helps. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 May 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#3 jerry8989

jerry8989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

Hi John,

Thank you.  Yes it does show up as GPT.   It sees the drive and different partitions but when I set the one I want to active it still doesn't load. 

I set it to dynamic and then relaized I shouldn't have done that.  I switched back to basic and it looks like it killed the main partition.  I still see the recovery partition and a couple of other small partitions.

I'm running through gateway's resetting process to see what it does.  It finished and it is in a continouse restart loop.  I think i'm going to take the drive out of my uncles computer and put it into mine.  Then run a partition program to create a primary partition and then see if I can have the gateway recovery process install the OS.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,041 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, you should not have changed from dynamic back to basic. There are not active partitions on a GPT disk and you cannot set a partition to active. That is one of the functions of UEFI firmware.

You do not need to pre-partition a disk when installing Windows. Windows 8.1 on a GPT disk requires a FAT32 EFI partition, a MSR partition, and the main Windows partition. It's easier to let Windows create these partitions automatically.

You can create install media for Windows 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool, either a USB flash drive or DVD. You may need to download some drivers from Gateways site as the install media is not OEM specific. When it asks for a key click next without entering anything. Your key is embedded in firmware and Windows will activate once online.

Follow this guide on doing a clean install.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

#5 jerry8989

jerry8989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

I put the hard drive back into my windows 7 pc and it shows the partitions are there and they are healthy.  The partition I thought I deleted and didn't show up in diskpart shows up here as the primary partition.

So does this become a bios issue on his machine?   How can I get his pc to boot off of his primary partition?

Attached Files

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,041 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

The partition structure looks normal and should boot. When the drive is attached to the Gateway desktop is the hard drive detected in your UEFI settings? If not then you will not get the drive to boot.

#7 jerry8989

jerry8989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hi John,

Thank you for all your help.   I'm not sure how to view the UEFI settings?  Are those in the bios?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,041 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

Yes, UEFI is normally called BIOS. In your first post you mentioned Boot Manager. Your hard drive should be listed there. There may also be a Boot sub menu available. Normally on the first page of UEFI/BIOS you will see your hard drive listed. If your hard drive is not detected in UEFI/BIOS then there is no way the drive will boot. Make sure all connections are tight and also try changing SATA ports. Always touch bear metal of the case before touching anything in the case to avoid static discharge which can damage components.

#9 jerry8989

jerry8989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

Previously all it showed was "Boot Manager" or "Disable" as the options for the boot menu.  When I looked for the drive it wasn't listed.  I'm downloading the iso file from the link you sent me for windows 8.1.  As soon as that finishes I will put his hard drive back in his drive and go into the bios and see what is listed.  I will try a different sata port as well.  I always touch metal before I go in there.  Knowing my luck I would fry it. 

I thought it was a simple take drive out of his computer then put in mine,  find deleted files, copy them to his drive then install his drive back in.  It's never that simple. 

Thanks and I will reply again in a few minutes.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,041 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:56 AM

Good Luck, For some reason it seems the drive is not being detected in your UEFI settings. Can you highlight Boot Manager and then press Enter. Does this bring up another menu? 

Another thing that may or may not help. After attaching the drive powercycle the computer. Remove the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds then boot.

#11 jerry8989

jerry8989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

Hi John,

In the bios I go to advanced->Miscellaneous and it says

SATA Port0: Not Present

SATA Port1: Not Present

SATA Port2:WDC WD10EZEX-21M2NA0

SATA Port3: Not Present

SATA Port4: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GHBON

When I go to hard disk priority it just shows Windows boot Manager and Disabled.  It doesn't show the hard drive.  Does the hard drive have to be in SATA port 0?  I tried the other ports and it didn't work.  I get 1 short beep when I turn it on.  did power cycle.  

It sees the drive but I'm not sure why it won't boot to it.

#12 jerry8989

jerry8989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

Now I'm getting 3 beeps after the initial beep when it is restarting

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,041 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Normally the bootable hard drive is supposed to be in SATA 0. It is not supposed to make a difference though. There should be a menu in your UEFI settings showing boot priority. Change it to SATA Port 0 and see if the drive is detected boots. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 May 2017 - 11:15 AM.

#14 jerry8989

jerry8989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

After it restarted it took me into windows as if I just purchased the computer.  I'm going through the steps now.

Is there a Port 0 on the Motherboard?  The boot priority just shows boot manager, lan, dvd.  I didn't see a way to change the boot priority.

As long as I can get windows up and running I can copy over the previous files I found and I'm out.   Thankfully I learned a lot of new things while dealing with this.  Thank you again for your help it is much appreciated. 

As soon as I get through the prompts I will let you know what happens.  I'm waiting on my uncle to text me the code that microsoft emailed him. 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,041 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

Glad you are up and running. Thanks for the update. It seems this Gateway does require your boot drive be on SATA 0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users