Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Thinkcentre hangs on startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scotstech

scotstech

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:12 AM

After several days in the Seventh Circle of Hell with (now resolved) problems caused by AVG, one of my optical drives has failed completely and I'm suspecting this must be connected to the following, new problem.

When I switch on my Lenovo (IBM) Thinkcentre, a "System is starting... To interrupt normal setup press Enter" message appears - normally just for a fleeting moment, and then the Windows logo appears with the progress bar.

Now, in the wake of the two wasted days recovering from the AVG mess up, POST hangs at the "System is starting" message for what seems like an eternity and the boot only starts after a few candles have been lit and prayers offered. After that, all is well and the system runs even better than ever (a major plus after removing AVG).

Okay... research seems to indicate that this is a BIOS setup problem, but the research doesn't tell me what to do about it. I'm 99% convinced the problem doesn't lie with the hardware - and there is a connection with the trashed optical drive.

Any ideas, guys? In my totally untutored way I'm thinking that the startup is somehow confused by the dead drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

This could be due to some leftovers of AVG. How does the computer boot when tapping F8 and selecting Safe Mode. If it boots normally in Safe Mode download AutoRuns and look for anything AVG left behind in regards to services or drivers. Only uncheck the box next to any AVG item. Try booting after disabling every AVG item. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

If that does not solve the problem then do a clean boot. If clean boot lets the computer boot normally start enabling startup items and services a few at a time until the problem arises.

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

#3 scotstech

scotstech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:18 AM

Thank you very much for stepping in, John C. Really appreciated.

There was only one AVG autorun entry: it related to the Remover Tool and was labelled 'Run once only'. I unticked it, but don;t suppose it's made any difference.

Following the AVG removal, the system continues to run much, much faster and the shutdown process now takes just a matter of seconds.

However, the startup continues to be scary and I'm pretty sure the problem is related to the goosed optical drive (OD) (one of two).

Occasionally, the light on the drawer for OD 2 blinks, stays on (and continues to stay), the light on OD2 blinks and goes out and startup proceeds quickly. Or only the OD 1 drawer light blinks. OD 2 isn't recognised in Device Manager. I looked for it in the BIOS. Ain't there either; and when I quit the BIOS without making any changes the machine's power cuts out and it won't restart for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes OD 1 disappears and can be resuscitated by "Scan for hardware changes" in Device Manager.

Not sure where this is heading. I think the answer might be to disconnect OD 2 but right now with a major project in hand I don't want to risk creating further problems.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the update. After the major project see how the computer boots with CDs/DVDs in the trays. But I think you are correct in trying to disconnect OD2.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 May 2017 - 07:17 AM.

#5 scotstech

scotstech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

Thanks again, John. I was about to reply and say that loading a disk into OD 2 wasn't an option. Although the light sometimes blinks - and stays on - during startup, the drawer couldn't be opened, not even using the paperclip trick.

But... and this is super weird... this afternoon after I hit the shutdown button a message appeared. Something like 'Please wait while Sonic DLA updates your media'. Then temporarily back in the seventh circle of hades, as the screen stuck at 'Windows is shutting down' (disk activity light solid). Not fancying another overheat, after 5 mins I did the hard shutdown.

Then... switching back on an hour later, fast POST, OD 2 comeback, appearing in Device Manager. Pushed the drawer button... it opened.

Spooky or what?

However, due to the neurosis that's now set in, I've done probably the wrong thing and researched freezes causing by Sonic configs/updates.

Just so that I can stay ahead of the game, is there anything Sonic-wise that I might be doing in case this happens again?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

I wasn't familiar with Sonic DLA until I searched it. I try to avoid using packet writing software on XP because I heard the drivers can get glitchy. I believe Nero had software called INCD. Windows 7 has this packet writing ability as part of the OS.

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Sonic-DLA-10076-program.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users