Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:24 AM

I'm working on a friend's PC. The brand is unfamiliar to me (EMachines), W7 operating system.. Brought it home and booted up, but no way I was getting connected to go on line. It boots up fine, but I'm thinking some kind of virus got in. I try and update, but it refuses to complete all updates. I'm getting error codes 80246005 and MFC 90.dll.

I tried to run a registry cleaner Auslogics and without success. Is it possible that the Hard Drive is shot and there's no getting it back? Also tried a System Restore and it wouldn't take.

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2017 - 07:04 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:53 AM

At first clean the computer of old files and old (obsolete) registry data. Use CCleaner. Remove any third-party antivirus programs
and improve Windows files (sfc.exe /scannow).
Then see if you have installed KB2647753. If not, install it firstly and then you can proceed further.
Of course it would be good to check the hard drive for errors and correct them if necessary, but most likely there will not be mistakes.

(chkdsk /f or chkdsk c: /f)
Read more

http://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/231304-win7_64_wont_update_error_80246005.html
https://www.fixtechproblems.com/fix-error-code-80246005/
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730714(v=ws.11).aspx

And one very hot suggestion - forget Auslogics forever.

Edited by zainmax, 06 May 2017 - 07:13 AM.

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:13 AM

Thank you so much. I will get rid of Auslogics.

#4 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:02 AM

I went to my computer and installed CCleaner, put it on a disk and dragged it onto the other computer. I tried to run it and this is what I got. The specified path does not exist check path and try again They suggest a path (ending with .exe). The file is reading c:\program files\ccleaner\ccleaner64.exe

If it already ends with .exe how can I make it recognize it? 

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

Run windows file check and get report, if there is some files, what cannot repair.

Run (WinKey + R) => cmd.exe => OK or Enter, then right click on icon on taskbar and Run as Administrator

then sfc.exe /scannow

V0XcPKQ.jpg

if ends, get report on desktop

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

There is info, what was not repaired. Open it (sfcdetails.txt) with text editor, for example with Notepad

0bQioiB.jpg

Sorry, forgot - if C is drive, where is Windows. If not, use Your drive letter.

Edited by zainmax, 06 May 2017 - 07:14 AM.

#6 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

I did not get the Run as Administrator option. It didn't take me to DOS either. Looks like I will have to give up on this one. I hate giving up, but I was working on this all last night and I'm not any further.

#7 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

If so many problems, then is better to store important files to some another place and clean the computer fully.

Then make new partition(s) and reinstall Windows. Then it is new, clean and in good health.

#8 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

What is the best way to clean computer fully? I do have a Windows 10 software disk do you think it would be okay to install this after cleaning? The system is Win 7, 32 Bit. 

#9 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

To clean up everything (wipe data, wipe partition), there is a lot of ways, personally I usually use Spotmau Boot Suite 2012 (it is just best for me). But you can use whatever, possibilities are really very much. You can also simply delete what possible and then re-format partition(s).
Windows 10 installation, I endorse this idea, but would need more data to tell which is the best choice.
For example the computer type, motherboard, processor. RAM, graphics card, etc.
As much as possible.

#10 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

About the clean out. This PC will not take anything I put on a disk and I cannot get on line. Is there any way to do this with-in the computer itself?

#11 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

If You can login, You may try to upgrade to Windows 10 (I can teach later, if needed) or here is Spotmau Boot Suite, download it, extract and burn CD or extract to USB and use it. It is bootable (may need to use Boot menu), select partition master and do what is needed.

https://mega.nz/#!I042SaSC!IBlOylI-_QGmIspfRANStCc4OKPJ6ySuKny1Yp3Nd0Q

Don't know, it works or not but couple days ago worked.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

If the download link don't work (in some browsers may not work), it is here

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=822783

More help is here

https://www.howtogeek.com/265409/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-from-microsofts-accessibility-site/

Edited by zainmax, 06 May 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#12 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

The software I received for Windows 10 was in Flash Drive form. I tried installing it on this bad computer by tapping F12 as it restarted and it did come to the Boot screen, but did not give me the option for Boot USB. I guess I will not be able to install this after all.

#13 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:00 AM

For some reason I cannot get this computer connected to the Internet. I think if I could get connected to the Internet I may be able to go further. I have been using the Hard Wire between my PC and this one. I tried to connect a wire less adapter I have, but I cannot get it to show up. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users