Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed programs in WinME

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:57 PM

I wanted to 'Tweak my system' although I had no complaints. I just check about twice a year to see the things I can remove to help boost my computer.
Anyway, I removed some desktop themes and other minor unused stuff. You'll probably know just by seeing the errors here. I can see one is about Netmeeting which I don't want or need or will ever use. The other one I am unsure about but I'm wondering if they are both about Netmeeting.

RUNDLL
Error loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\nmmkcert.dll
The system cannot find the file specified.

Advanced INF install
Error creating process <"C:\PROGRA~1\NETMEE~1\conf.exe: - unregserver>.
Reason: The system cannot find the file specified.

And what do these mean specifically? I understand it's not finding them and the first one is a dll file but is there a glitch somewhere? IF I wanted to use Netmeeting, would these 2 errors mean I couldn't?

I'll wait for any advice before rebooting just in case. I'd rather avoid issues, lol.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:12 PM

I would have to say that they are related to netmeeting.

RUNDLL
Error loading C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\nmmkcert.dll
The system cannot find the file specified.

Can be found here

Error creating process <"C:\PROGRA~1\NETMEE~1\conf.exe: - unregserver>.

Can be found here

This links are intended to show that the files are related to netmeeting.

And what do these mean specifically? I understand it's not finding them and the first one is a dll file but is there a glitch somewhere? IF I wanted to use Netmeeting, would these 2 errors mean I couldn't?

Basically it means that you deleted files related to NetMeeting, but not all of them.

A file is attempting to rundll nmmkcert.dll, but it is not there.

In the other error, it probably could not make "C:\PROGRA~1\NETMEE~1\conf.exe: - unregserver>., because it does not exist-you erased that too.

That is correct that as of now, you can not use Net Meeting, unless you did a complete re-install of that application.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:21 PM

I have something to add. How did you remove them? By deleting the folder in C drive? Or add remove?

Also you might be getting this error cause it was still running when you killed it? Background process........

I also removed it but from add remove then the folder.

Make sure it wont try to load during startup as a process or you will get a error thats says its looking for a file bla bla click here to find it yourself....

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:20 PM

I went through Add/Remove Programs, tab Windows Setup. Remember that I have WinME so y'all may or may not have this. I've always known about this sort of thing. Computers come with all kinds of stuff we never use or need. But they run on startup and use ridiculous amounts of resources.
If I ever deleted Netmeeting or any of its components, I don't recall. At least not other than going through the method I mentioned above and that doesn't remove or delete, just stops them from running.
I've rebooted since I unchecked the Netmeeting option. I've had no problems, probably because it's not a vital program and doesn't HAVE to be running. And I can always recheck the box to enable it again. I doubt I'll do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users