Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

School / game laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr0v3rr1d3

Mr0v3rr1d3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LD4MGY4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vysdzb7QQM3K1

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834315779

Is there a difference??? If so wich one is better? I have a second 8 gig ddr4 ram stick to put into either

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:34 PM

They are the same, but with the Amazon one you get for +$100 an 'NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB of GDDR5 Video Memory' video card.:)

#3 Mr0v3rr1d3

Mr0v3rr1d3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

Is that worth the $100?

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

Both computers are good. However, one has a much better graphics card and costs $100 more, as I said. The video card will only come in handy if you do a lot of graphics-related tasks, such as Photoshop and gaming. If, however, you don't plan to either game or make videos/graphics on this laptop, I would strongly advice getting the $100 cheaper laptop. On the other hand, if you plan on gamming on this laptop, get the Amazon one as this will improve the gaming capabilities of your laptop.

Is that worth the $100?

If you plan on gaming, yes.

Hope this helps!:)

P.S. By the way, even though you have 8GB of RAM stick, you will not be able to use it, since:
1.If you open up the laptop to put in the RAM, you will lose your guarantee
2.Laptops usually have only 1 or 2 slots for RAM sticks. I think that the laptops that you are asking for both have only 2 slots and both have 2x4GB RAM sticks in them, so there isn't place for another one (You can take out 1 of the 2 4GB RAM sticks and replace it with your 8GB RAM stick, so that you can have 12GB of total RAM. However, this is not advisable - usually, it is good for both RAM sticks to be of the same amount of GB and the same speed(frequency); and also, as I pointed out, you will lose your guarantee if you open up the laptop to put extra RAM).:)

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:11 AM

Both computers are good. However, one has a much better graphics card and costs $100 more, as I said. The video card will only come in handy if you do a lot of graphics-related tasks, such as Photoshop and gaming. If, however, you don't plan to either game or make videos/graphics on this laptop, I would strongly advice getting the $100 cheaper laptop. On the other hand, if you plan on gamming on this laptop, get the Amazon one as this will improve the gaming capabilities of your laptop.

Generally, Photoshop will be better served by more RAM (this is the best thing to feed Photoshop) and a better CPU. Some GPUs can be utilized by some features of Photoshop, but you need to make sure your GPU is supported.

Gaming will benefit from a dedicated graphics card as opposed to integrated, but keep in mind that mileage will still vary. You will want to still check what the minimum requirements of the game you want to play are and even then keep in mind that it may not be able to do super high FPS even if it does meet minimum standards.

P.S. By the way, even though you have 8GB of RAM stick, you will not be able to use it, since:
1.If you open up the laptop to put in the RAM, you will lose your guarantee

You should not. The Acer manual specifically states the following on page 13 under the Memory compartment section of the "Base View" (i.e. bottom) diagram:

You may upgrade your computer's mmemory [sic]. Acer recommends asking an approved service center to do this.

Notice they say "recommend" not "require". Thus, it should be no issue to upgrade the RAM.

Further more, typically if the RAM (and/or hard drive) is "behind" a door/cover that is effective easy for a user to open, then it is generally considered user upgradable.

Of course, laws, etc will vary by country. In the US, it should be no issue to upgrade the RAM on the Acer computer referenced in this thread.

Of course, one still much make sure that you have the proper RAM module and determine whether or not using matched RAM modules is advisable.

2.Laptops usually have only 1 or 2 slots for RAM sticks. I think that the laptops that you are asking for both have only 2 slots and both have 2x4GB RAM sticks in them, so there isn't place for another one (You can take out 1 of the 2 4GB RAM sticks and replace it with your 8GB RAM stick, so that you can have 12GB of total RAM. However, this is not advisable - usually, it is good for both RAM sticks to be of the same amount of GB and the same speed(frequency); and also, as I pointed out, you will lose your guarantee if you open up the laptop to put extra RAM). :)

This will depend on the computer. It does appear as if this Acer does only have 2 RAM slots and odds are pretty good that it will take advantage of dual channel memory (i.e. would need RAM modules that match in terms of capacity and timings).

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:34 PM

Since gaming is on your list go for the Amazon machine.  Even if your 8GB RAM doesn't fit, 8GB should be serviceable for most applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users