Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot from Windows 8 pc

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:12 PM

Hey guys, found me a free Dell Inspiron 660s i660s-2314BK Desktop Windows 8, which has a much faster CPU than my current pc and is way more modern.  It was a free-bee so don't know the history, and it don't have a HDD in it either.  I'm not all that good with UEFI yet and cannot get this thing to boot from Linux Mint Mate 17.1-64bit, created with UUI.  Maybe I need to create media with Rufus??? I don't know.  

I was able to go into BIOS and set USB to boot, and it booted to Grub and I hit enter to boot.  Nothing happened, screen went black, pc still running, monitor is known to be good.  Until I get booted up I'll just post the cnet link that tells what I believe is the correct specs.  I ran Service Tag at Dell, but that don't tell me any more than cnet atm.

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-660-core-i3-3240-3-4-ghz-monitor-none-series/specs/

It seems as though I booted from UEFI machines like this before with no issue, so what is going on with this one I don't know.  I always use the same UUI created 17.1 Mate USB also, so this is a little perplexing to me.  Perhaps there is something wrong with the pc that I'm not aware of, or is not obvious.  Any feedback needed please just ask.

Boot Mode is set to UEFI, and Secure Boot is "ON"

I think I'll do a Dell Diagnostics now and see if the hardware is good.

Just had a thought, I'll give a Disk a go also, but really want to run it with USB to see how well it runs!  Excited, this will be a good one to run Linux on if possible.

pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 05 May 2017 - 07:28 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

Turning secure boot off is a good idea even though Dells are very good at Linux it still pays off to turn off secure boot

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

Thanks MRB, the Dell Test Passed.  Tried to boot with DVD but that did not work either??? this is telling me something is really wrong right?  Never had an issue booting from DVD.  Secure Boot shouldn't bother booting from DVD should it?

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

Well yes sometimes secure boot can make boot from a CD not work so yeah still tried to turn that off also make sure that the optical drive is functioning which is hard to determine right now however if you can get a live USB working then you can work out what is wrong with the machine

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

I have a similar Dell as what you have and seems like I had to go into bios and change my boot from whatever to Legacy boot and then I was able to boot from a DVD.

It is an excellent desktop but I prefer my old ancient desktops without all of the Microsoft Secure Boot Crap that seems to be in a lot of the new prebuilt computers now.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,612 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:03 PM

SecureBoot requires a certificate on the install media. I am not sure Mint 17.1 has this. It would be best for you to turn SecureBoot off. If you see a setting for QuickBoot or FastBoot in UEFI it should also be disabled as this can prevent a DVD or USB from booting.

Tapping F12 should bring up a boot menu allowing you to select the boot device.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

Luckily I have more persistence than brains, got it going, thanks Madman for the support, and Toolman.  I'll need to go over her a little and see if it is worth keeping, but it's looking good.  Don't know what I did that made it work, just kept trying, and Turned Secure Boot OFF.  It may have just been the sequence/procedure I was doing?  I would like to be IN Secure Boot as that is what it is designed for, and from what I understand, Linux Mint is SB Compatible.  I will run it for a while and post back, seems very fast atm.  I hope it was ditched because some wealthy person was tired of Windows 8, and their HDD died, so they ditched it.  Any further ideas are surely welcome.

Edited by pcpunk, 05 May 2017 - 08:11 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

• pcpunk whatever browser you are using you may want to try another as your posts have been coming up odd lately

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

JohnC_21

Thanks John, getting lot's of good support here tonight, and on a Friday Night LOL.  I gotta work tomorrow so not really a Friday Night for me either.  I'm up and running and posting from the pc.  Shoot, this pc is working better than the other I was just posting from.  Really, this is the fastest pc I have atm, and it was a salvage.  I'll post the inxi:

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fx
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: Dell product: Inspiron 660s
           Mobo: Dell model: 0XFWHV version: A00 Bios: Dell version: A07 date: 08/24/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-3240 CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 13573.6 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 2400.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: c8:1f:66:0e:11:02
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 70:18:8b:8e:a9:1d
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 16.0GB (10.2% used) 1: USB id: /dev/sda model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 16.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 1.9G used: 65M (4%) fs: overlayfs 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 171 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 361.0/3827.6MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
mint@mint ~ $ 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

pcpunk whatever browser you are using you may want to try another as your posts have been coming up odd lately

Yeah MRB, been having issues with that pc, it's one of those horrible Windows 8 machines LOL.  And, it's a fresh install, not impressed.  Will make another attempt to make it work better soon.

Now all I have to do is decide what I want to install to this baby!  Mate 17.3, 18.1, Cinnamon etc. don't know yet, but think it will have to be Mint.  Maybe my beloved KDE, as this pc will likely run it faster than my old laptop.

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

So far so good, running cool even though it is filthy.

mint@mint ~ $ sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +106.0°C)
temp2:        +29.8°C  (crit = +106.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +36.0°C  (high = +85.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:         +33.0°C  (high = +85.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:         +31.0°C  (high = +85.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,612 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

The CPU is really decent. 

You may want to consider installing Thermald though with your temps you probably don't need it.

https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/thermald

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/PowerManagement/ThermalIssues

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/prevent-your-laptop-from-overheating.html

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

Yeah MRB, been having issues with that pc, it's one of those horrible Windows 8 machines LOL.  And, it's a fresh install, not impressed.  Will make another attempt to make it work better soon.

Now all I have to do is decide what I want to install to this baby!  Mate 17.3, 18.1, Cinnamon etc. don't know yet, but think it will have to be Mint.  Maybe my beloved KDE, as this pc will likely run it faster than my old laptop.

pcpunk

Hey pcpunk,

Those Dell computers like that are excellent desktop computers. :thumbsup:

As johnC 21 said the processor is really decent and with enough ram that thing will fly.

I have the same desktop with an i3 processor and 8.0 GB of ram and it rocks.

I just prefer my old computers over my newer computers.for my own reasons.

You can't complain it was free.

Glad you got it up and running.

The Toolman

Edited by The-Toolman, 05 May 2017 - 09:14 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

That's some great info there John, never knew about that.  I wonder though, my Temps look fine don't they?  33.0 and 31.0 are normal right?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,612 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:26 PM

Yeah, those temps are fine.