Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly need power supply. Help me find one for my computer.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fantasy09

fantasy09

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

Lenovo H420 series Desktop

OS- Windows 7

Power 115 to 230

Brought brand new in 2011. It's been a perfect machine. Quiet and fast. However, the first time it acts up it does it today and in a big way.  It will not come on at all. I've done everything the troubleshoot pages I've found said to do, and yet it still wont come on. Apparently its a power supply issue. It gave no warning that it was about to act up like my computers in the past have done. The lights went out today in my neighborhood. The energy people fixed the problem. Everything came back on except the Lenevo. No warning. Just dead. 

The lights went out during a really bad storm last week as well, and yet the computer came back on as usual. It's also connected to a really good surge protector and always has been. I don't know what else to do. If I truly need a power supply I'll put it in myself if its something a layman can do. I'll need to unscrew the back of the computer first. So many screws....

This is the replacement power supply listed for my machine.There's an original and six substitutes.  listed.Which one would be a good fit and most importantly again can a computer noob put it in.b ;)

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/es/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/lenovo-h-series-desktops/lenovo-h420-desktop/7752/77525wu/Parts?isaccessory=false

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-41A9684-280-Watts-280W-ATX12V-Desktop-Power-Supply-AcBel-PC6001-41A9752-/381690707955?hash=item58de89fff3:g:A-wAAOSwvg9XeOCi

Edited by fantasy09, 06 May 2017 - 02:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

Any of those power supplies should work. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

Nothing Tricky About Replacing PSU

Louis

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

Any ATX type of PSU will do.

For a non gaming rig anything above 400W is overkill

Something like this will do:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151117

The higher cost goes to it being seasonic and to be fair seasonic is one of the best PSU makers if not the best.

Try not to get a PSU from ebay, it may be cheaper but you dont know anything about the internals.

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 May 2017 - 08:13 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 fantasy09

fantasy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:38 AM

It's good to know a noob like me can put a power supply in lol.

Thank-you.  If the power supply doesn't matter as long as its ATX then what about this one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-400w-atx-power-supply-gray/5610074.p?skuId=5610074#tab=buyingOptions?bof=openbox

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

No you may be better off going with the one I suggested, its more expensive however build quality matters in a PSU so you can have longevity.

Plus you may need the PSU to aid with possibly replacing other parts, we dont know if the PSU short damaged your other parts.

It could have fried the whole system, PSU's can do that.

If you need to replace your computer you could do it on your own and learning how to replace a PSU is a good start.

Honestly PC building isnt that hard so if you had to go from the ground up it wont be hard to do, yes even a layman can build a PC if you really had to.

The only thing hard about PC building is the screwing and making sure the wires go in the right place

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 May 2017 - 09:42 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users