Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cmd.exe the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Shasoosh

Shasoosh

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

Hey All,

I'm getting the above error randomly when using Windows.

cmd.exe works fine if I run it in regular mode or admin.

I've checked the event viewer hoping to find some info there without success. I can't even figure out what triggers this error

I've also tried:

* Uninstalling Geforce Experience

* Stop all tasks in Task Scheduler

* Stoping all procceses (that can be stopped)

* Running a NOD32 scan

* Running a MalwareBytes scan

* Running SFC

I'm still getting this error popup randomly. 

Edited by Shasoosh, 05 May 2017 - 05:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

If you can open the Command Prompt execute Sfc /Scannow command.

If you cannot launch Command Prompt from within Windows 10 then please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

The following command scans integrity of all protected Windows system files and repairs files with problems when possible.

Sfc  /Scannow   /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\   /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Posted Image

#3 Shasoosh

Shasoosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. I tried that. sfc didn't find anything. I'll edit my first post

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

Re-register all DLL files by executing following command and restart your computer.

for %1 in (%windir%\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32.exe /s %1

Posted Image

#5 Shasoosh

Shasoosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

Same error.

I've also noticed that the first popup occurs exactly 35 minutes after login. I have no idea if the other popups are also timed 35 minutes after the first because I keep trying things and restarting my machine.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:41 PM

I would like to have you run a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

msconfig_zpsuoxvomjq.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean%20boot%203_zpsyvcjopso.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK

clean%20boot%202_zpsekds879g.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

Posted Image

#7 Shasoosh

Shasoosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

The problem persists. I just got the error after 10 minutes of waiting.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:51 PM

Windows: How to Solve Application Error 0xc0000142 and 0xc0000005

Posted Image

#9 Shasoosh

Shasoosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

Thanks, that was my go to article. Unfortunately, my AppInit tab inside autoruns is empty. 

Regarding the other solution in the article, my registry value for LoadAppInit_DLLs is already 0

Edited by Shasoosh, 05 May 2017 - 07:56 PM.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:03 PM

You don't have much choices left if you want you can repair install Windows 10.
You can check error logs from Event Viewer maybe one of the error logs will give you clue which application or service generating that error message.
You should visit your computer manufacturer website and install latest device drivers.
Have you update Windows 10 to Windows 10 Creators Update if not please do so.

Posted Image

#11 Shasoosh

Shasoosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

As a last resort I'll do a clean install. 

My Windows is up to date. 

Under Event Viewer - Application popup for the cmd.exe - I can see that:

Execution 
   [ ProcessID]  768 
   [ ThreadID]  784 

But when I search for 768 in my PID it's csrss.exe "Client Server Runtime Process" which doesn't tell me anything.

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

Don't forget to install latest device drivers.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy,  taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Add Reply button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Send below the Reply box.

Posted Image

#13 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

Visit post : https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
  • Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach those logs to your reply.

Edited by Lvlpost, 05 May 2017 - 10:03 PM.

#14 Shasoosh

Shasoosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:26 AM

FreeBooter,

I managed to track down the cause of the popup.

CrashPlan, a cloud backup software was causing this.

Following the Clean Boot tutorial didn't disable it, therefor I still saw the error popup.

I eventually managed to figure out it was CrashPlan using a software called FolderChangesView. It sits in the background and logs any folder & file activity. I really think you should add it to your arsenal. When I got the popup while FolderChangesView was open it was clear that CrashPlan was trying to run an upgrade batch file, that was causing this error. I have to idea why it fails but I'll take it up with them. (Most likely some conflict with the Creative Update as it started just recently)

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:19 AM

Hi Shasoosh

Thanks for letting us know how you have resolved the issue.

I was going to ask you to use Process Explorer to find which process the error message box belongs to.

You can highlight the process that owns a window visible on the desktop by dragging the target-like toolbar button over the window in question. Process Explorer will select the owning process entry in the process view.

Take Care!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users