Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching Laptop sign in from MS Account to a local account

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1

sportsfan1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

Hi, Ive just switched from signing in to my laptop with a Microsoft Account to signing in with a Local Account instead. My laptop was always listed as a Device on the opening screen along with a map showing its location when I looked in my Microsoft Account. Under Devices I could also view my laptop along with other bits of various information about the device and its location was always shown on a map there too. After signing into my laptop with my Local Account ..If I sign in separately to my Microsoft Account afterwards Ive just noticed that having switched to a Local Account my laptop isnt shown on the opening Microsoft Account screen anymore and its not listed in devices either. Is this normal behaviour? I was expecting to still find my laptop listed in Devices. Also...Under Update and Security/Activation..it  used to say Digital Licence linked to a Microsoft Account. Now it just says Windows is Activated with a digital licence. Is all this normal behaviour if you sign into a laptop with a Local Account instead of a Microsoft Account?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

Yes.

Using a local account severs all connections to any Microsoft account (if that account is not also logged in at the same time).  You will see nothing on a local account that relies on exchange of information with a Microsoft Account, since there is no linkage between a local account any Microsoft Account.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:16 AM

Hi Brian. My thinking was ..I was signed in to my laptop with a Local Account but I thought that when I logged into my Microsoft Account at login live sign-in that my laptop device ID would be recognised at that point and show up in my Microsoft Account Devices...in exactly the same way as it does if you sign into the laptop with a Microsoft Account

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

I don't have time to test this myself this morning, but I believe the device list in Microsoft Account Devices is much like the active device list on a router.  What shows up are devices that are currently active and where an association exists between that device and the Microsoft Account you're logged in to.

This would be easy enough to test if you log in to your Microsoft Account on one device then try logging in to your laptop first using your local account then sign out on that and sign in with the Microsoft Account linked user id and see if what your Microsoft Account information regarding devices changes as you do so.  You might need to refresh what you're looking at to see it, though.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

Yeah Brian..I tested it and what you said was spot on. Thanks

#6 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:50 AM

One thing is that you can login using a local account and when you try to run the store or connect to One Drive you will be prompted to login with a MS account to the Store or One Drive. Once you've logged in the first time it remembers your MS account with that local account.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#7 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

One thing is that you can login using a local account and when you try to run the store or connect to One Drive you will be prompted to login with a MS account to the Store or One Drive. Once you've logged in the first time it remembers your MS account with that local account.

Yeah..I always did that with Windows 8.1. I'm not sure really which way is best with Windows 10 now though. I'm considering if I should just stay with the Microsoft Account sign in method on Windows 10...Cortana is the thing that's confusing the issue...even though its a laptop I'm using and not a smartphone

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

...Cortana is the thing that's confusing the issue...even though its a laptop I'm using and not a smartphone

In what way is Cortana confusing you?   There are a lot of folks around here who can discuss Cortana with depth.

#9 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:54 AM

...Cortana is the thing that's confusing the issue...even though its a laptop I'm using and not a smartphone

In what way is Cortana confusing you?   There are a lot of folks around here who can discuss Cortana with depth.

What I was meaning by that Brian was Cortana seems to be very heavily integrated with the Microsoft Account. I'm still trying to decide how useful it is and if I really need it..bearing in mind that I'm using a laptop and not a smartphone. First impressions are it seems to be a nice addition to Windows. All the scaremongering I'm reading about privacy issues in Windows 10 doesn't help my decision one bit either in whether to sign into my PC with a Local Account or with a Microsoft Account as I do at the moment lol I have a feeling that the Privacy issues might be a lot of scaremongering ..but what do I know!! Whats your opinion?

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

My opinion is that the privacy concerns surrounding Windows 10, though some are absolutely legitimate, are mostly scaremongering and have said so on these forums many times.

You can refuse to use the personal digital assistant feature of Cortana (I do refuse, but not due to privacy concerns) and not use the other apps, including One Drive, that involve the exchange of your personal data with Microsoft [one can't really use cloud storage of any variety without consenting to the storage entity having access to one's personal data - having access does not mean giving permission to disseminate].   I tell everyone that the first thing they should do after installing Windows 10 or starting up a brand new machine with Windows 10 is to spend whatever amount of time they require to go through each and every one of the panes under the Privacy settings, read the "learn more" links for each if necessary, and then set these according to one's personal desires.

For myself, I have things pretty much "locked down" on the privacy end of things.  That being said, I want to be logging in with a Microsoft Account.  The advantages to me of having something that does log the software I've purchased from Microsoft and have a license for is alone worth its weight in gold.  If you're ever faced with a case where you need to actually reinstall Windows 10 it makes life so much easier when you go to reinstall, say, Microsoft Office, and can't find your original installation media [if you even had any] and license key.  All of that stuff is kept in your account and allows you to download and reinstall these programs with ease.  Were I using multiple devices with Windows 10 where I set up my own account having the synchronization feature across devices as far as settings, sessions, etc. (depending on what I pick to synchronize) is also something I love.   I find sync features in Firefox and Google Chrome to be worth their weight in gold and I am under no delusion that anything that I do in cyberspace is, in any conventionally meaningful sense, private.  It never has been.

Even if look at just what's a part of "the public record" legally, and that's now searchable via the web from virtually anywhere, things that our parents and grandparents thought of as largely private (e.g., property purchase and sales records) can now be looked up in seconds.  Much of what we thought of as privacy was the direct result of it being tedious to find information that was part of the public record.  Searching public records has been a cinch for decades now, and you find any number of companies out there online who will compile those for you in seconds on anyone you wish.  As a result I don't really feel that we will ever have anything approaching the sort of privacy that was common in the past.  That ship has sailed.  It will only be things legally mandated as private (e.g. medical records) that even have the vaguest chance of remaining actually private, and even those could be hacked.  One cannot touch cyberspace and have any expectation of privacy as it was once construed.

#11 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

Yeah..thats basically my view as well. Like you say...just go through the privacy settings and make your changes rather than leaving the privacy settings on default settings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users