Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard reset after heavy load

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ToastedMarshmallows

ToastedMarshmallows

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:33 PM

Hello to everyone in the forum and to those who would assist me...

Recently been struggling with a problem. I've had my PC for a good while now (give or take a year), and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. But for a month now, I've been experiencing hard resets after my pc takes on certain heavy tasks, and it's been chugging quite more than usual. Hard resets in the form of my pc just shuts down and restarts itself.

I've had reason to think it's because of the GPU's temps, as everytime I play a game with heavy visuals my PC decides to shut down and hard reset. Haven't had this happen before to me. Currently I'm also ruling out if this is caused by a virus, but none of my scanners have found anything (I might also take the time to ask the malware experts in the forum).

Now i didn't bother with this problem for a month since I was planning on scrapping my current rig for a new one, but since I'm stuck with it till I finish a work project, I was thinking of replacing the GPU. However, due to the frequency of the hard resets, I am now afraid that my motherboard and/or my GPU, maybe even my HDD is now shot since my CPU is running significantly slower.

But then when I run a game, it tends to live longer whenever I have my ac on full blast as well as my fan in front of the CPU itself (opened the side of the case). I'm running a deepcool captain 120. This all started when I played For Honor, and it hard resetted once. After that, it happened to any game i played that ran in 3D graphics. Even Dota 2, which used to run well, is now crashing. I've replaced the thermal paste on my GTX970 but it didn't do anything for the temps. I also use MSI afterburner to speed up my fans ever since this all started, but it really doesn't help much.

I really would like some steps to take in order to diagnose what parts I can keep (my idea is toss out the gpu and psu) and what should be replaced/if there's any problems at all. Is my motherboard fine and can I safely use it? What can I do to diagnose if it's bad as well?

I'm a complete newbie to CPU troubles regarding the hardware itself, and can't diagnose anything. I did do a Furmark test to see if it would crash my GPU, surprisingly it didn't. What steps can I take to rule out problems? Thank you very much.

P.S. - I sometimes hear short, faint clicking sounds coming from my cpu that are very seldom. I hear the same sound after a hard reset as well.

Edited by ToastedMarshmallows, 05 May 2017 - 04:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:38 AM

Let's start with this:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

While waiting for a reply, please unplug the system from the wall.
While taking good antistatic precautions, open the case and check to see the condition of the cooler and fans in the case, on the GPU, and on the CPU.

If dirty, clean them out with canned air.  If loose, refasten them.

Then plug the system back in and see if all the fans are running when you turn it on (DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING INSIDE THE CASE!!!)

Also, start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Skip the Furmark if you ran it similarly to my suggestions.  Otherwise, run ALL of the tests and let us know the resutls.

FYI - not long ago components (such as GPU's) were simple enough that one stress test could tell a lot about the component.

This is not longer the case and a GPU can pass the Furmark tests and still have physical problems.

What we do for this is to run other tests - and if the system still has problems suggestive of the GPU, then we'll suggest trying another, known good, GPU.

You can also provide this set of reports if you have time.

We may ask for it later on, and it has a lot of information that might help us.

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ToastedMarshmallows

ToastedMarshmallows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hello;

Here is my event viewer logs. (I see a lot of 41 events) :https://www.sendspace.com/file/ifl6jb

Attached as well is the SysnativeFileCollectionApp+perfmon.zip.

I can't boot from a cd since I don't have a CD reader for now, so I can't run seagate tools nor samsung's test. Could you kindly refer me if I can use a program to boot them from a USB instead? To be honest, I would run memtest as well but I plan on buying new ram for my system along with a PSU so I skipped that... And now that I saw from perfmon that my disks are failing i might as well consider buying new drives.

Thing is, I was going to buy a new PC altogether, but wanted to save at least my case, cpu (Intel i7-4790k), motherboard (Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2), and HDDs (A seagate st31000524AS barracuda 2TB and a samsung EVO 850 250gb). Then just replace the GPU, PSU, and RAM to save some cash.

All i need is to test is if my motherboard and CPU are okay. So I went ahead and dl'd the intelburntest (Didn't have time for prime95; and I've read that using it so long as no errors come up is okay). Results are the following:

----------------------------
IntelBurnTest v2.54
Created by AgentGOD

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Clock Speed: 4.00 GHz
Active Physical Cores: 8
Total System Memory: 16325 MB

Stress Level: Standard (1024 MB)
Testing started on 5/7/2017 4:57:41 AM
Time (s)        Speed (GFlops)        Result
[04:58:01] 10.446    85.5731            3.526496e-002
[04:58:16] 10.039    89.0421            3.526496e-002
[04:58:33] 9.823    91.0022            3.526496e-002
[04:58:49] 9.934    89.9811            3.526496e-002
[04:59:05] 10.194    87.6829            3.526496e-002
[04:59:20] 10.047    88.9689            3.526496e-002
[04:59:36] 10.298    86.8042            3.526496e-002
[04:59:52] 10.049    88.9548            3.526496e-002
[05:00:08] 9.800    91.2103            3.526496e-002
[05:00:23] 9.835    90.8840            3.526496e-002
Testing ended on 5/7/2017 5:00:23 AM
Test Result: Success.

I could also do a LinX test if needed, but I did one before on 10 passes and it went well.

Currently have a thread going on at the malware forums; am ongoing scans for those as well and they should be able to root out my malware problem if any...

Anyway, I really would like to diagnose if I also need to replace my motherboard and CPU... which I hope I won't have to. But I currently have my doubts; CPU-Z shows that on idle I run @ 1.285-1.323V on core voltage. Even on idle and during load as well (Using after effects and througout the intelburntest; temps are always okay tho, never passed 48C). In the BIOS however it reads 1.1V which I think is stock voltage (I don't OC or anything like that, but I do have the bios set to ASUS optimal). I've also been logging speedfan as per requested, when in the process do I need to upload it?

Lastly, I need to keep using this PC for now sadly since I have a project to work on atm.... All this makes me think I need to just get a new rig altogether tbh, but I can't till at least two more weeks so I need to band-aid what I can.

Attached Files

Edited by ToastedMarshmallows, 06 May 2017 - 05:33 PM.

#4 pantera2049

pantera2049

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:10 AM

hi!

You must unplug the system and ensure that you system cpu fan and video card are clean!

Ask for help to a technician if you do not know to do it yourself.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

Unfortunately it appears that the system has pirated software.
Please get a legitimate copy installed and we'll be glad to help.

Here's suggestions on how to ensure that your version is legitimate:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/genuine

Please be aware that we may not be able to fix it (as the hacks that were done to activate it will cause the OS to behave differently than we expect it to). If that's the case, our efforts to help may just waste your time. Secondly, the forum rules prohibit assisting with pirated software - so the topic would be closed if that is the case.

As a courtesy, I will offer an analysis of your issues using the reports you provided.
I will not answer any questions about the analysis until the system is made legitimate.
If you do make it legitimate, please submit a new set of reports for us to check.

Just FYI, sometimes the owner won't know about this.  So here's 2 scenarios that might ring a bell:
- if they had a "friend" help with the computer - and the "friend" installed a pirated copy.
- or they used a copy that they had from another OEM computer.  The OEM license is tied to the hardware that it came from - so you can't just use it on another system (that means that it's pirated).

And here's the analysis:

OK, let's start with the Admin logfile:

1) I found no repeating problems associated with the shutdowns (the EventID 41 errors).

As such, this is likely a hardware/compatibility/low-level driver problem - see this link for possibilities:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

2) I did see repeating problems with these programs.  Please uninstall them.  If they are needed (such as the nVidia drivers) download and install a fresh copy of the latest, W7 compatible version for your device.

- CheckPoint/ZoneAlarm (uninstall, use the Windows firewall while we're troubleshooting) Also uninstall Comodo firewall
- TechSmith (uninstall - leave uninstalled until we're finished troubleshooting)

- e1dexpress (Intel networking driver - you will have to uninstall it, then install a fresh copy of the latest W7 compatible version for your device)

- nVidia (video drivers - you will have to uninstall it, then install a fresh copy of the latest W7 compatible version for your device)

Perfmon report:

- Hamachi network interface is disabled.  Please uninstall it.  If it's needed, then install a fresh copy of the latest W7 compatible version for your device

- UNKNOWN device - most likely the Intel MEI (Management Engine Interface) - please install the latest version of this for your system (should be available on the motherboard support website

- PCI device - most likely a part of your Intel chipset drivers - please install the latest version of this for your system (should be available on the motherboard support website

- SMBus device - most likely a part of your Intel chipset drivers - please install the latest version of this for your system (should be available on the motherboard support website

- USB controller - most likely a part of your ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller- please install the latest version of this for your system (should be available on the motherboard support website

- As long as you're at the motherboard support site, I'd suggest ensuring that ALL of the other drivers are up to date.

Sysnative File Collection App:

Only 42 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most systems with SP1 have 350-400 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

D: drive has less than 2% free space; G: drive has about 4% free space; and C: drive only has about 6% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

You have both ZoneAlarm and Comodo firewalls installed

Only use 1 firewall at a time - more than that can cause system problems and can even let malware in (this includes the Windows firewall).

The same thing goes for antivirus software - only one at a time.

MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner (along with EVGA Precision) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

XXXXX

Edited by usasma, 08 May 2017 - 07:09 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

Duplicate post deleted.

XXXXX

Edited by usasma, 08 May 2017 - 07:05 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

Duplicate post deleted.

XXXXX

Edited by usasma, 08 May 2017 - 07:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users