Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FORMATING & full system disc backup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pinegum

pinegum

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

Looked for comments about this title, couldn't find my answer..Two questions:

1. I have two SSD  drives on my computer and use Acronis  to copy from one to the other. Just put a new/replacement SSD in one of the drives but it doesn't show up under "My computer" My W7 automatically loaded the drivers. It shows up under my "devices" but don't know why it won't  show up under "My computer" (Just like to verify the to and from disc's I'm copying from and to) If I need to format the new drive first, what's the safe way to do it?

2. How do I create a "full system disc backup", is it in Windows 7 or do I use Acronis. Just another safety backup to what I'm already doing.

You've all been so patient with my ????/s and I really appreciate it!!

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2017 - 04:38 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

A quick format or initialization may be all you need on that just-added SSD.  Give your not-new SSD a unique name, so that you always know your utility is not aimed at that SSD but rather at the just-added SSD. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

pinegum

1) In order for Windows to see a HDD on the "My Computer" screen, a partition needs to be present on the HDD.

Another way to view all of your storage devices in Windows, is to access the Disk Management screen.  You can do this via Control Panel, or access it directly by using the "run" dialog box like this:

Hold down the WIN key on your keyboard while pressing the r key.  You should see the "run" dialog box appear on your screen.

Enter this in the dialog box :  diskmgmt.msc

qo66pd.jpg

When the DIsk Mgmt screen launches, you should see something similar to this (my Disk Mgmt screen)

1z3xdvl.jpg

Your new SSD drive will probably appear as "unallocated" if you haven't created a partition on the new disk.

2) Windows 7 does have a built-in Backup utility although I've never used it. 

I use Acronis (ver 2011) to Clone my C HDD as well as Imaging with "Macrium" (another backup software tool).

If you're interested in performing a complete HDD backup which will boot into Windows and contain all data on the HDD, you can either Clone the HDD or Image (full-HDD Image) the HDD.

I use both methods, using Cloning for my short-term HDD backup routine (every 2 weeks) and periodic full-HDD Imaging to provide multiple HDD recovery paths in the event I run into problems with a Cloned HDD.

If you're wanting to process a complete HDD copy via Cloning or Imaging to your new SSD, you shouldn't need to prep the new SSD, or that's been my experience with Cloning spinner (non-SSD) HDD's for several years.

For example, When I Clone, the Target (sometimes referred to the "Destination" HDD) is nearly identical to my Source HDD since I had Cloned the Source HDD 2 weeks earlier, if I'm following my schedule.

I use "Diskpart" to delete all partitions, including the partition table, so that when I've launched Acronis (or another software backup tool), the Target HDD will appear as "unallocated".  That helps differentiate between my Source & Target HDD's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users