Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

@ key not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Iceriver19

Iceriver19

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

Good afternoon friends,

I had a customer email into me and ask how to turn off sticky keys.  Gladly i responded and asked why and explained how to turn them off.  They wrote back saying they are not able to click the shift key and hit the #2 key to enter the @ sign.  Unfortunately, this is an older gentleman who only uses his computer to type up documents and print them.  I had no way to see the problem for my self. 

I am writing this to see if anyone has had this issue.  I have researched the issue and everyone says to turn off sticky keys and turn off all the ease of access keyboard settings. This did not work either.  I had the gentleman set his Windows 10 machine to the same settings as mine. (Since my @ works) Still to no avail of working.  He updated to the latest version of Windows 10. (Creators Update).  Still has not fixed it.

I have sent him an email to run command prompt and run "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk /f".

Sorry for not being able to access the computer, not expecting much, just any ideas i might have missed.

Thanks in advanced for your thoughts, shares and advice,

~IceRiver19~ 

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

– Elbert Hubbard

______________________________________________________________________________________

~IceRiver19~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

Does this happen with both shift keys (every keyboard that I have used, from what I recall, has two shift keys)?

Is he able to try another keyboard (maybe borrow one)?

In other words, has the possibility of the keyboard being the problem been ruled out?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

Can the person generate an @ by pressing the alt key, typing 064 on the numeric keypad, then releasing the alt key?

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 May 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#4 Iceriver19

Iceriver19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

Sorry for the long delay.  Went out of town and forgot to say so.  No they cannot.  But they ended up reloading Win 10.  It is working now.  

I am still curious as to what caused it.  But oh well.

Thanks for you for your time.

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

– Elbert Hubbard

______________________________________________________________________________________

~IceRiver19~

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:50 AM

I just wonder if the keyboard was set to the wrong region in settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users