Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Adaptors & Power Converters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GWBlack

GWBlack

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

Hello,  We live in USA and will be traveling to Italy and Greece next month for the first time.  We will be taking our laptops and cell phones with us.  Although I'm sure we will need an adapter plug to connect our power cord to the European wall outlet, will we need a power converter/transformer also?  I know that USA voltage is 110-120V and European voltage is 220-240V.  But I'm unsure whether most modern laptops and cell phones are "dual voltage" or will automatically adjust the voltage accordingly.  Or is it device-specific?

Thank you!
Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

It is device specific.  Normally it will tell you on a label.  For instance the label on an HP power adapter on my desk says "WIDE RANGE INPUT 100-240v".  The Apple adapters are the same.  If you're using cheap off brands, best of luck.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

If you take a careful look at your chargers it should say on them both what the input voltage range is and what the outut voltage and current is. You may need a magnifying glass - these details can be in very small print but they should be there. I have just looked at the charger for this laptop I am using  and it says 100-240V so it can be used on both sides of the pond.

You are right about needing plug adapters. The USA one is very similar in appearance to the European one but the dimensions are slightly different, enough for them not to fit without an adapter. And to make your cup run over, should you find yourselves in the UK at any time you will need a different adapter again !  We use a three pin plug but with rectangular cross section pins. And the adapter needs all three pins since the earth pin releases a safety shroud when you connect the plug !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 GWBlack

GWBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

Thank you for the replies!

#5 GWBlack

GWBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

I just looked at my laptop and cell phone power charger units.  All specify "100-240V, 50-60 Hz".  So as I understand, I will only need an adapter - not a converter or transformer.

Thank you for the help!

#6 GWBlack

GWBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

One more question:

Am I correct that laptop charger units with "100-240V, 50-60 Hz" written on them will automatically adjust to compensate for the voltage difference?  Or is there some type of switch or internal setting that I need to manually change?

I believe they will automatically adjust the voltage, but I'm just double-checking to avoid frying my laptops while in Europe!

Thanks again,

Gary

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:30 AM

One more question:

Am I correct that laptop charger units with "100-240V, 50-60 Hz" written on them will automatically adjust to compensate for the voltage difference?  Or is there some type of switch or internal setting that I need to manually change?

I believe they will automatically adjust the voltage, but I'm just double-checking to avoid frying my laptops while in Europe!

Thanks again,
Gary

In my experience, if you have to manually make the change, then there will be a visible hardware switch for making the change. I vaguely recall those switches on some devices (I want to say desktop computers "of yore"...i.e. a while ago). I believe if you don't see a visible, physical switch, then they should automatically adjust.

#8 GWBlack

GWBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users