Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Hardrive And Windows From Scrach

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tallone

tallone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:43 PM

I was given an old laptop by a relative because they just got a new one. They kept their harddrive because it had all their information on it. I brought myself a new hard drive (never used) that's compatable with the lap top and I have a windows cd and product key. I'm trying to install everything but I don't know where to start. I have a compaq Amada 1700 and I'm trying to install windows 95 (I have 98 and 2000 upgrade cds as well but I need to install 95 first I believe.) And everytime I turn on the computer, I get Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and press any key when ready. I think what I need to do is install the hard drive. I put it in already (it just slides in great with the caddy I have) but don't know where do go from there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:36 AM

You don\\\'t need to install 95 or 98 if you already have a Windows 200 disc (and lisence key). However, if the 98 and 2000 discs are upgrade only (do those even exist?) then let us know so as to give the right instructions.

All you need to do is insert the Windows 2000 disc into the cd-rom drive and start the computer. (You may need to change the boot device order through the bios, let us know if you don\\\'t know how)

When/if you are prompted, press any key to boot from the CD. (if you don\\\'t sse this prompt and get an \\\"Operating System Not found\\\" or other error, let us know)

The setup program will start and spend a minute or two loading drivers and such.

Follow the on screen instructions and prompts to install a fresh copy of Windows. When prompted, press \\\"c\\\" to create a partition and leave the size of the drive at the default (unless you want more than one logical drive, but I\\\'m guessing not).

Format the new drive.

The setup program will then copy the necessary file to the hard drive and then restart. Wait for Windows to load and follow the instructions to complete the installation.

The setup program will give you prompts furing the process that correlate to what I\\\'ve discussed, so don\\\'t worry if you\\\'re a little lost after reading this.

Visit this Microsoft article for more detailed instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304868/EN-US/

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 07 September 2006 - 02:41 AM.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:21 PM

If you are installing W 2000 the disk needs to be formatted for NTFS.

W95 and W98 used Fat 32.

The new hard drive should have come with a cd to set it up.

#4 tallone

tallone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:56 PM

98 and 2000 are upgrade only. And I tried doing the bood but I'm still getting " Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and press any key when ready". I'll check the article out though

You don\\\'t need to install 95 or 98 if you already have a Windows 200 disc (and lisence key). However, if the 98 and 2000 discs are upgrade only (do those even exist?) then let us know so as to give the right instructions.

All you need to do is insert the Windows 2000 disc into the cd-rom drive and start the computer. (You may need to change the boot device order through the bios, let us know if you don\\\'t know how)

When/if you are prompted, press any key to boot from the CD. (if you don\\\'t sse this prompt and get an \\\"Operating System Not found\\\" or other error, let us know)

The setup program will start and spend a minute or two loading drivers and such.

Follow the on screen instructions and prompts to install a fresh copy of Windows. When prompted, press \\\"c\\\" to create a partition and leave the size of the drive at the default (unless you want more than one logical drive, but I\\\'m guessing not).

Format the new drive.

The setup program will then copy the necessary file to the hard drive and then restart. Wait for Windows to load and follow the instructions to complete the installation.

The setup program will give you prompts furing the process that correlate to what I\\\'ve discussed, so don\\\'t worry if you\\\'re a little lost after reading this.

Visit this Microsoft article for more detailed instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304868/EN-US/

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:51 AM

The following should help:

How To Create Setup Boot Disks for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197063/EN-US/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users