Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AT&T Homepage Snafu

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Hope this is in the right sub-forum. Well here goes. I have www.att.yahoo.com/ as my Homepage. Recently, I have noticed a 'header' on the Homepage informing that a new and improved Homepage is in the works and will be upcoming which has been going on for the last few days. On May 2, Tuesday I disconnected from the internet and shut my computer down. The following day I turned the computer on and connected to the internet and my Homepage is not there from what is used to be. There are no 'visuals' no late breaking news, no slideshows. On the left side of the site are links to specific stories, mail, etc. When clicking on any of these links, it does nothing. There is also a link option to "set as homepage" which I also tried.

I've reached out to AT&T support through there phone number and get directed to someone in the Philippines who is unaware of any problem. Exasperated, I finally got a hold of a rep in the US. I was informed they are having problems. This has been 2 days ago and the Homepage website is still non-functional. I've also sent an email requesting an update........no response thus far.

Is anyone here experiencing this problem with AT&T?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,494 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

Clear out your internet cache. Att has a new web page most likely because Yahoo has now been purchased by Verizon, a competitor to Att. 

Use the below link for your home page.

http://start.att.net/

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the response John. I did as you asked, however when I clicked on the link provided, I get the same results.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,494 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

Are you saying when you click say Finance on the left of the page you are not directed to the Finance page? Did you clear your browser cache? If you customized your home page you may need ot do it again.

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:10 PM

bad post.

Edited by sikntired, 05 May 2017 - 12:11 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,494 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

I only see a little square with an up arrow in the center of the page. Everything else is blank.

#7 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

Yes, I cleared browser cache, and when I click on any link it does nothing. I have not customized homepage. I've have done no changes period.

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

I'll try to provide snapshot.............not very good at doing though.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,494 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

What browser are you using?

#10 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

bEmhZVp.png

#11 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

I use IE 11 OS Win 7 Home.

This is what I'm talking about. No visual (picture) at all. Just the links to the far left side. I can scroll down and it provides links to latest news, but when I click on any of those links it fails to connect. I'm at a loss to explain as I've literally done nothing to effect the changes.

Edited by sikntired, 05 May 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,494 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

Definitely not normal. Try the following. This is a portable version of firefox and will not install on the computer. All files are within one folder. Download here. It is an exe file. Doubleclick on the desktop. It will give you a location to install to. Select the desktop. After the files are uncompressed open the firefox folder, double click on the firefox exe and type in the att home page.

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Have you tried clearing the history and cache with CCleaner?

#13 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for the help thus far John, I appreciate it. I downloaded and launched the portable version for Firefox. I entered http://start.att.net/ and it connected and displayed just fine. So, I'm guessing that IE is the culprit. Do you have any further suggestions on how to resolve? Do you think it would be prudent to run CCleaner?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,494 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

CCleaner is fine. Do not use the registry cleaner. Leave all boxes as checked. If after using CCleaner the problem persists you may need to reset IE after saving your favorites.

When installing CCleaner make sure you opt out of any program offered. It may ask to install Chrome.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

#15 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:05 PM

Hi John,

Well, I ran CCleaner rebooted and no change. Then I went into Internet options and made sure I had http://start.att.net/ as my homepage. Rebooted and still no change. I then reset IE to default settings and then rebooted and still no change. :(  I'm at a loss as what to try next. Any suggestions??

It's really odd because I can connect to MSN, or Yahoo or Google.

Edited by sikntired, 05 May 2017 - 02:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users