Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

F: Drive? E:drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 R_johnson246

R_johnson246

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:42 PM

I have a removable Hard disk that I purchased with my computer that works great, up until I got my SD card. When I plugged the SD cardin, it moved my Removable Hard disk to a F: drive instead of a E drive (what it used to be) So the SD card took its place. Now I want to use the Harddisk, and All the files have no "Paths" all of my game shortcuts say it cant find the real file location. So I Went to properties and switched everywhere that said E: with a F:. and it still didnt work. How can I get my Harddisk to be an E: drive again? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:15 AM

Go to Start...Run...and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

In the dialog that pops up, you'll see the different drives on your system. Right click on the SD drive select "Change drive letter and paths". Then assign the SD drive another open drive letter (this will free up the drive letter for the removable hard drive).

Then right click on the removable hard drive and do the same - this time selecting the E: drive designation.

Finally, you can then go back and make the SD drive the F: drive if you'd like.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:41 PM

If renaming the drives as usasma suggested isn't successful, shutdown the computer, remove the SD card reader, and reboot.

Your hard drives should be back as they were.

What did you connect the card reader to? A USB port, or did you use an IDE cable connection?

#4 R_johnson246

R_johnson246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:12 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH, the Disk management thing worked completely. My SD card is now F: and everything is back to normal
Oh and MY SD card was connected to the SD slot on my computer, not a USB, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users